Forums are back in action! ×

But not new to Nerd Fitness, nerdity, or fitness. I've followed the main site for a few months, and recently discovered the forums with a mention of the Tenacious Test of Toughness.

It all began with a pull up bar. I was ten the year, for Christmas, my dad got me one of the pull-up bars which screw into the doorframe. From there, I got up to doing 20 chin ups, while having no leg strength whatsoever. Come high school, I was coerced into joining the wrestling team, because my chin ups, milk, and genetic fortune made me look like a better wrestler than I was destined to be. In the two years I wrestled, I learned how to cut water weight, avoid stretching, get and kill ringworm, and, most importantly, curse like a sailor. Yeah, that pull up bar probably taught me more about fitness than the team. I should also add that the wrestling team was my favorite part of high school, but that isn't saying much. You know that kid who was really smart and muscular, but seemed like he wanted to kill someone? Yeah, that was me. I could never find my place. People called me an "old soul" because I found the pursuits of all of my classmates to be frivolous. I also found the schoolwork frivolous, and took the CHSPE to get out. Anyway, after two years of wrestling, I realized that I had never liked it, and didn't go back the next year. During that year I found a local gym and started weight training. It was mostly body part splits in the beginning, but I eventually saw the light and began training for strength. I've worked my way up to a 285lb (129kg) Front Squat and a 415lb (188kg) Deadlift, 1RMs of course, and I recently did my first unassisted muscle up. I stopped doing weighted upper-body exercises, except for OHP, about a month ago, and I'm just doing that until I can get five handstand pushups in a set.

That said, I still struggle with depression and social anxiety, and I strength train because it is my major coping mechanism. I'm also still trying to find my way after my leaving high school. 

In my free time, I do a great amount of reading. My favorite novels include The Moon is a Harsh MistressThe PostmortalFrankenstein, and in case you couldn't tell, The Name of the Wind. I took Latin in high school, and I enjoyed it enough to still translate anything that anybody wants me to. If you have something for a signature or a motto, I'd be happy to make it more sophisticated. I look forward to becoming a member of this community and contributing whatever I can. Thanks, everybody.

• Like 2

I translate things into Latin. Send me a pm.

| Human Flag | One-arm Chinup | | 20 Bar Muscle-ups | | 225 Press | | 365lb Front Squat | | 515lb Deadlift | | Freestanding HSPU | | Gain 15lb | 

Battle Log

It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question and he'll look for his own answers.

Anyone can love a thing because. That's as easy as putting a penny in your pocket. But to love something despite. To know the flaws and love them too. That is rare and pure and perfect.

We understand how dangerous a mask can be. We all become what we pretend to be.   - Patrick Rothfuss

Gain 15lbs

42%
42%

Welcome on board. I'm sure you'll find plenty of like minded people. Sounds like you've already checked out the forums, have you thought about joining in on the new 6 week challenge?

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously