Forums are back in action! ×

Hi, I'm Switch. 

I've been wanting to get fit for a while, and 6 months ago found this site. Now I have a goal (beat my best friend in an arm wrestle when she gets back on July 3rd) and I'm going to start working hard at it as of the last day of school (too many last minute essays right now, but I'm free ALL summer). 

I really like this place because I don't feel judged here. Not just for being a nerd, playing D&D and reading Star Wars and all of that good stuff, but also for being a woman and for being a noob. 

Anyway, as for the classes, I think I'm an Adventurer trying to be a Ranger, and then later be an Assassin. Though I am interested in lifting - it looks super fun! 

I don't feel I need to lose weight. Though I wouldn't mind being a bit skinnier it is not my primary goal. I want to get strong. I have the endurance, and I have strength in my legs, what I need is strength in my arms. And my core. But mostly my arms. 

Something about me that is relevant to why I like this place; I have social phobia (fear of people, and being judged by them) and use to not be able to leave my house. Now I am a productive member of society thanks to exposure therapy. If I can do that I can win any mental battle thrown at me. I'm still scared of the gym, but only because I don't understand the culture there and I'm scared of getting judged, but it's not enough to keep me out... just enough to keep me out until I'm more fit and can prove myself. 

Proudest fitness achievement to date happened when I was in grade 11. I went hiking in the Rocky Mountains for 3 weeks (with people, obviously) and got to the top of not just one mountain, but 5. Still look back on that an say I can do anything, which is good motivation for all the battles fought and yet to be fought in my life. 

And I think I'll leave it there. Pretty comprehensive "this is me" blurb, don't you agree?  :D

• Like 1

Hey Hey!!! Welcome! I've always wanted to hike/ climb the rocky mountains! Don't worry about being a new to lifting, every single person starts there, and most people who are at the gym and lifting seriously, are kind enough or remember being new well enough, to give you tips, or will happily spot you if you need a spotter. Again welcome!!!

•      Awful                                                          Not so good                                                                          Getting better                                                        Super Stud                                       He-Man                                  Artie Strongest                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              man.... In The World
  • 61%
    61%
  • Valerius the level 2 Human

STR 3|DEX 3|CON 2|STA 3|WIS 2|CHA 2

Current challenge

•  
  • " If you think you can do a thing or you can't do a thing, you're right."
  • - Henry Ford

You did the Rockies?!  So jealous right now.  It's on my list :P

Welcome to the Rebellion!

Congratulations on the success through exposure therapy!  I have pretty severe social anxiety myself, only they wouldn't put me into exposure therapy, so I've been forcing the issue on my own.  It's great that you've had such awesome breakthroughs and successes already :D

Have fun here, enjoy the community!  :D

“Freedom is what we do with what is done to us.†~ Jean-Paul Sartre

Back on form next challenge