Forums are back in action! ×

Police Sarge workout

Hey all,

So I'm a little shaken while writing this, but I also can't sleep so I figured I'd post. The long story short is: I've been robbed. I was talking on my phone when a 6ft guy approached me with his face covered wielding an axe came out of nowhere and asked politely for my money.

This gave me a great opportunity to talk to my friendly local police Sergeant about his workout routine while we did the reporting. No surprises. Tough calisthenics and a diet of meat and veggies with a healthy dose of self defense training. He was a couple of inches shorter than me, but he certainly looked tough and built. Wouldn't surprise me if he'd done a couple of boot camps.

Just thought you all might like to know. :)

I've come to realise that without a signature, people tend to ignore the last line of whatever I say, this exists to rectify that

Although fitness is always important, there are only 3 things that could have gotten you out of that situation, and they both hinge on the first. Awareness is key. If you had a better sense of your surroundings, you would have already been watching the creepy looking guy lurking in the shadows rather than having your head in the sand while talking on a cell phone. If you had a gun you could have shot him, but if you didn't already see him, then you probably wouldn't be able to draw in time. And if you could run like hell, theres a chance you would have been able to get away from him (but i don't like that plan). Glad you weren't hurt.

Good to see you're alright. Hope the the bloke let you keep your cards and phone.

Also man, i think confidence (according to my local police constable, attackers nearly always target people who appear weaker than themselves) would be as appropriate as serious Kung Fu skills in that situation.

The bloke had an axe... what do you do in that situation?

Do the Kung Fu for sure, if you're in Sydney i can give you the name and number of an excellent training gym.

"Strength is the cup. The bigger the cup, the more you can put in" - JDanger

sorry to hear that happened, but glad to hear you're safe. i've often thought about how hopeless i'd be to defend myself in the case that something like that happened... this is just more motivation to research self-defense.

...we, each of us, are responsible for our own fulfillment. Nobody else can provide it for us, and to believe otherwise is to delude ourselves dangerously and to program for eventual failure every relationship we enter. - Tom Robbins

Current Challenge: Life, man.

The whole exchange I was perfectly calm. I assured him I wouldn't make any sudden movements and put my things on the ground. I assumed he could run faster than me as running isn't something I've trained, and acceleration in particular is a weak point of mine.

He showed me the axe and I hung up the phone, remained perfectly calm without raising my voice and did what he asked me to. He did take my phone but he's only getting like 30 bucks worth of credit off it. All in all he was pretty nice once he saw I was being cooperative. I mean losing $40 and a phone sucks but it's not the worst thing that's ever happened (i.e. Bruce Wayne origin story)

I didn't get or feel scared during the event, only mildly annoyed by the inconvenience. Of course I assumed he'd hurt me with his weapon if I didn't do what he wanted, even though logically that'd be a stupid move by him.

I'll agree I could have had much more awareness, but Canberra feels so safe I don't even think about crime.

Thank you for the offer, if I lived in Sydney I'd bite at it.

I've come to realise that without a signature, people tend to ignore the last line of whatever I say, this exists to rectify that

Honestly, I somewhat wish that had happened to me. I'm not saying I'd whoop his ass, because an axe isn't something to fool around about, but I would have liked to make him work for his money. I'm also slightly insane. FYI...

Anyways, I'm glad you are okay. But next time, pull out a sledgehammer and see what he does (for some reason I am assuming the same guy will rob you with an axe again.... seems reasonable)