Forums are back in action! ×

I'm considering starting a PvP for boxers and martial artisits that is kind of like Simon says. The concept could hopefully allow the participants to learn new moves and teach others new moves as a sort of information exchange.

It would require a video post from the participants and possibly some considerable setup time and logistics planning on my part, so give it a read and give me some feedback:

The first person to start the challenge would begin with a 3 hit combo on a heavy bag, the participants would try to copy the combo, and after successfully repeating it, show their own 4 hit combo, which the participants would then try to replicate adding a 5 hit combo afterward and so on until nobody could top that person, who would receive a point. The person to post a response first would be the combo to top next in the challenge, and there would be a 48 hour window of inactivity before the latest combo is deemed the winner and a point is awarded. The person to earn the point would provide the new 3 hit combo. First to 5 points wins.

Logistically speaking, I would probably set up a youtube account and give the login info to the various participants, then change the password at the conclusion of the challenge or something like that.

Let me know if anyone is interested or has some feedback.

Level 1 Time Lord (Monk / Ranger)

Str: 1 | Dex: 2 | Sta: 1 | Con: 2 | Wis: 3 | Cha: 1

"Hello! Oka... :nonchalance: New teeth. That's Weird. So, where was I? Oh, that's right, Barcelona :D"

Current Challenge

"Man cannot remake himself without suffering, for he is both the marble and the sculptor." -Alexis Carrel

:numbness: Fine, I don't care. Rejection from society is what created the X-Men.

"Hello! Oka... :nonchalance: New teeth. That's Weird. So, where was I? Oh, that's right, Barcelona :D"

Current Challenge

"Man cannot remake himself without suffering, for he is both the marble and the sculptor." -Alexis Carrel

Perhaps you could refine your idea a bit and try again when you can be clearer and more definite. It has real potential.

A lot of the PVPs have various levels, so beginners can play as well as advanced.

Maybe start with a few rounds of threes as a warmup and test of the idea?

Just my 2 cents.

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

Hey Setto, this sounds like a really fun idea. Honestly it would be a little difficult for me to get in on since I am kinda self conscious and having videos on YouTube is a little scary. I do think that it would be a great way to learn new moves, and to get coaching on my own personal technique.

ShadowLion, I am wondering what is not clear about the PVP idea? The rules seem simple enough and I believe the point of this not to have the different levels so that the beginners can learn from the more advanced martial artists/boxers. The only real way to improve your self is to push yourself to learn new things. Also if it is just a few round of threes how will the game advance? Have you ever played the light up version of Simon says?

I'm going off of some other PVPs in which I am participating where there are different levels. Those aren't martial arts ones, though, and I don't claim to know anything about that. The only version of Simon Says I know of is the kid's game. What is light up Simon Says?

In the PVPs I am familiar with, the poster presents the idea fully formed and issues the challenge. It sounded to me that Setto was still in the concept stage, given his title and:

I'm considering starting a PvP for boxers and martial artisits that is kind of like Simon says. The concept could hopefully allow the participants to learn new moves and teach others new moves as a sort of information exchange.

It would require a video post from the participants and possibly some considerable setup time and logistics planning on my part, so give it a read and give me some feedback:

Threes:

Maybe start with a few rounds of threes as a warmup and test of the idea?

I think Setto has a really good idea that could make a great PVP if people give him some feedback and encouragement, especially people who know more about martial arts than I do.

I agree wholeheartedly on challenging one's self. Might be a way you could get past the self-consciousness with video. Heck, I'm a fat old lady - who doesn't like being videoed either - and I'd give it a try if I knew anything more than a little Tai Chi. I'm not in the same league.

Setto sounded discouraged and I was hoping that a response with a couple of ideas (useful, or not) might be some encouragement. Maybe some action on his thread will get him inspired to take it to the next level.

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

It seems to me that he is wanting to see how many people are actually going to want to take part in his PVP before taking the time and effort to set something up that is going to be rather time consuming.

Also as far as you not knowing anything other than Tai Chi, this would be a great way for you to learn, even if it meant you only watching the videos and learning the combos. Also as a beginner boxer myself I can tell you that a three hit combo is way easy to do and follow, that is why I'm guessing that he said take it up by the next combo with each posting.

As for the light up Simon Says, it's a game that basically you follow the light pattern that circular disk gives you. it starts out with one color and continues to add any sequence of the four different colors that are on it.

Ok, its cool guys. Thank you for your time and input. Aurai is correct, it would be a time consuming process and I don't want to spend it on nothing. I can see where ShadowLion is coming from though, its my challenge so I should have it completely figured out before proposing it. Could you direct me to where I should post concept ideas though, ShadowLion? Next time around I'll have a fully set up idea on this thread.

There doesn't seem to be any interest from actual participants though, so I'll just leave it as it sits. Maybe try again later or something.

Current Challenge

Maybe the Monks forum would be a good place to bat around ideas and see who would be interested. Also, when I set up my No Soda PVP, I announced it in a couple of related general forums to let people know there was something they might want to check out in the PVP forum. Let your guild leaders know, too, and they can help spread the word.

Response may also be a function of timing. If you can get your challenge put together and announce it during the week leading up to the next challenge you might get more response because people can work it into their challenge plans and they'll be cruising the relevant forums looking for ideas.

There may be a way to simplify your time commitment and the video posting, too. Some of the forums that use a lot of videos (someone in the warrior guild that is involved in their form check forum, for instance, could give you details) just have people use their own YouTube accounts and embed the file using the BBEdit code. Then you don't have to manage a separate YouTube account and mess around with passwords and such. Each participant can be responsible for their own postings.

@ Aurai - Thanks for enlightening me on light up Simon Says. Fifty years ago we didn't have electronic toys - ha! I'm loaded up this time participating in two PVPs, but I'm game to try it next time. It does seem like a fun way to learn and progress.

Good luck, Setto!

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir