Forums are back in action! ×

Ave Atque Vale (Hail and Farewell)

Good Morning All,

Let me start off with my name is Brandon and I’ve very blessed with a beautiful wife and a healthy 2yr old son. I guess I’ve always been into fitness and a healthier lifestyle, but something seemed to happen when I left the military. I was fanatical with my fitness regimen while in, but when came home I just didn’t care much about my physical appearance or ability anymore. I binged and instead of expressing myself to my wife, I became reclusive and delved into video games as an escape. Anyway my point is, I gained twenty pounds right off the bat and felt like a pariah. It’s lasted that way for a few years but for the last year and a half I have been doing my best to change. I owe it to my family and I have to reach a certain fitness level to stay qualified for my new job.

Why I am here, 1. I want discuss and learn more about better diet options such as the Paleo. I’m still having trouble losing the jelly that used to be my abs. 2. I would like to gain a better spiritual (not religious) mindset while training. Honestly since I went back to the gym it just seems like I leave work for work. It’s too mechanical… 3. I would really enjoy discussing and learning new fitness regimens and accepting new challenges. 4. I want to give support to anyone that may need it, because I know just how far that rabbit hole goes.

My current regimen is an amalgamation of some different programs and being performed 3 Days a Week. If your looking for something new and challenging please feel free to try it.

2 Mile run 8 min pace.  (Try not to pass out or Sh!t myself)

The three pyramids:  Do all three starting with a rep of 5, 10, 15, 20, 15, 10, 5.

45lbs Kettle Bell Swing

Chalice Squats

Pushups

(Try not to hurl on equipment or nearby gym members)

2 sets of 10 Thrusters

2 sets of 10 Bench Press

2 sets of 10 Pull Ups

2 sets of 10 Dips

Some type of abs work

Thank you and I look forward to being a part of your community. 

• Like 2

Ave Atque Vale!

-The Soldier

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body." - Chairman Mao

"Self-respect is the fruit of discipline." - Abraham J. Heschel

"It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop." - Confucius

“Keep your blood clean, your body lean, and your mind sharp.†– Henry Rollins

“Tell the negative committee that meets inside your head to sit down and shut up.†- Ann Bradford

“Pray not for an easy life. Pray for the strength to endure a difficult one.†– Bruce Lee

Welcome, soldier!  It is an honor to have you join us!

If you find your current routine in the gym too mechanical, you might try moving out of it.  A lot of people enjoy CrossFit because every session is something new, but it is always intense.  That certainly seems to be your style!  Others like parkour or forms of "play" exercise because they are intrinsically fun (and they like swinging on the monkey bars--ah, nostalgia).  You might consider looking into forms of yoga or meditation; the focus and balance cultivated by most forms of each can be very spiritual, and you can apply that to all parts of your life, including weight lifting.

NerdFitness is a great place to learn about Paleo!  We have lots of folks who love the diet and have had tremendous success when paired with it.  Great paleo articles on the main website can be found here and here.  Oh, and don't forget this article on how to make paleo spaghetti!  If you decide to go paleo, check the forum page on food and diet--we have lots of recipes to share!

I hope you will stick around a while, soldier.  NerdFitness is a great community for anyone!  If you ever have any questions, feel free to message me.  I'm always happy to help :)

• Like 1

Respawned Level 1 Rebel 

STR: 1  STA: 3  DEX: 2  CON: 1  WIS: 3  CHA: 2

Challenges: current!