Forums are back in action! ×

New Here and Finally Interested in Getting Fit.

I suppose I should start with the basics. I have been overweight since Junior High, I'm 26 now and I think I finally care about dropping to a healthy weight. I don't want to be a beauty contestant or a before and after image. I mostly want to be healthy and able to have children someday. I have PCOS which I am terrible at taking the medication for and would be greatly helped by me dropping about 150-200 pounds. I am trying now and am enjoying weight lifting again since doing power lifting and soft ball in high school. I think what I mostly need at the moment is nutritional advice and support. I have hope for those here from everything I have observed. Here is to my first goal to be able to move in July without being winded taking the clothes upstairs.

Paleo is a big thing around here, but I personally am a Weston Price person... cut out the industrial refined stuff, choose the best quality animal products you can afford (grass-fed stuff and raw dairy is awesome if you can find and afford it,) eat grains soaked or sprouted to neutralize phytic acid, and eat some fermented foods for minerals and probiotics. I'm a fermented food evangelist. Feel free to ask if you want me to talk your ear off about how to make kombucha, carrot pickles, relishes for sandwiches, etcetera, etcetera... also how to use a sourdough starter... but anyhow!

Since you mentioned children, maybe it's not weird to say: My first labor/birth took three days. I had been eating a vegetarian diet with lots of refined, packaged foods. I was weak for months afterward. 2.5 years later, my second labor/birth was 8 or 9 hours. I had been slowly incorporating Weston Price's stuff for about 2 years. I was still weaker than most new mothers, but able to pack for a move halfway across the country and survive for a week without my husband!

So, my nutritional take is, paleo is awesome, but if you don't feel right giving up grains and dairy, see what Weston Price found out. :)