Forums are back in action! ×

I used to be scared of the gym

I think it's just not worth the money at the moment. I'm a student so every penny counts for me and I'm fine with my body weight training, but I think I will try it out in the future when my rehab is finished.

Yea many people here love bodyweight exercises. The reasons we gave are why WE like the gym, they may or may not pertain to you.

And I remember those broke student days. Lol now I'm just a broke guy who graduated.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

First off I used to be one of those gym scardey cats! I still (kind of) am, other than the cardio area and the spin room I don't explore past that....however, due to all I read about lifting and seeing the awesome stories on here I'm getting over my weight room jitters and have a session with a PT this Wednesday to specifically focus on lifting :D I'm super duper psyched as I have NEVER EVER stepped in the free weight section of any gym. 

And as for some additional pluses to the gym: 

-variety: you can be in the middle of your workout and see something out of the corner of your eye- boom, something to add to your own workout that you wouldn't have otherwise thought of (I picked up a whole dictionary of ab workouts this way while doing cardio and seeing what people did on the mats)

-accountability: I switched my Monday morning workout to Monday evenings. When I went in for my regular 5:45 am Tuesday workout the morning front desk person gave me a huge smile and said 'We missed you yesterday!' It took me a second to realize and mentioned I switched to Monday afternoons, but the fact that they knew whether or not I came in stuck with me. When I think of hitting the snooze to skip the am workout I think "My front desk buddy will know!" As silly as it sounds, it's helped get me out of bed. 

-support: You find people doing similar workouts and often they have similar goals. If you really want to work part x of your body and you're not sure how, the gym is a wealth of information (although it may not always be free) This is how I got set up with the trainer I'm meeting next week. I wanted a PT and was originally paired with another trainer, however I mentioned lifting and they quickly said 'oh, you have to meet this other trainer then, she'll teach you!'

-bodies: As creepy as it sounds you can see how other people look and part of their formula for maintaining that look. You also see people become stronger over time (Someone who only ran a mile and built up to five or more, someone who could only lift x much but can now lift double the amount), which could be aligned with what you're working towards so you can introduce yourself and compare notes/ideas (Careful with this some people dislike being approached at the gym so it's all about gauging the scenario/person)

Many gyms have trial periods as well, so if you're interested in trying you could always give it a go and see what you think of it before you fully commit to payments.

• Like 1

Spaz Ranger

BATTLE LOG

You can have results or excuses. Not both