Forums are back in action! ×

Lvl 1 Warrior at your service!

Hello Everyone!

I'm very excited to have found such a unique and fun community that parallels so much of my own thoughts. I only found this site yesterday, and have dropped several hours combing through forums. I can't help but have a big grin on my face while reading these conversations. I've been a hardcore gamer since I was 5, and I have always treated life as a game - albeit a game with no respawn (wait, what?...there is no respawn in RL!?) When I saw the introduction and the mentality of leveling up ourselves as characters, I had to join. 

Back in highschool I was a powerlifter, and I lifted off and on in college. However, once I started in the workforce, well, it's the same tech career story - sedentary jobs + the fantastic american diet (psych!) leaves much to be desired. The last few months I have been rethinking my life, and trying to bring balance back to it. I don't like sinking every waking moment into the job - it's just not healthy. So, I made the decision to rebalance everything starting with my health. 

I think my biggest challenge will be getting my nutrition in order, and I am looking forward to learning all about it!

I am exited to start adventuring with you all! Keep up the good work, and continue to inspire others!

• Like 3

Your story sounds a lot like mine. I played football, was a member of the swim team, and did a lot of lifting in high school. In college, when I wasn't studying or partying I was lifting, so I fell off the horse a little bit there. My first job was located across the street from a Carl's Jr. where we got a 20% discount. I double western bacon cheeseburgered my way into gaining 60+ lbs. I discovered these forums a week before the previous 6-week challenge, and while I'm still pretty heavy, I'm a lot stronger and more muscular.

I highly recommend checking out the following sites, as they helped me gain strength and muscle quickly:

http://stronglifts.com/5x5/ - This is a great program for beginners or for people with experience who want to gain their strength back. I catch some flack for saying this, but I feel that you don't need to start lifting just the bar, as the program suggests, if you already have some base strength to work with. I say start with weights that you can complete the whole workout with without sacrificing any form.

http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/ - This may or may not be your cup of tea, but if you don't mind setting aside the time to plan out your meals in advance and counting calories/macros, this calculator can greatly simplify your dieting strategy.

Good luck to you and I look forward to seeing you join the ranks of the warriors!

Level 2. Saiyan Warrior - Training with the Adventurers

STR: 4 | DEX: 2 | STA: 2 | CON: 4 | WIS: 1 | CHA: 1

Powering Up Phase 1 - Shedding the Fat

Starting Weight: 250lbs | Current Weight: 215lbs | Goal Weight: 200lbs

Your story sounds a lot like mine. I played football, was a member of the swim team, and did a lot of lifting in high school. In college, when I wasn't studying or partying I was lifting, so I fell off the horse a little bit there. My first job was located across the street from a Carl's Jr. where we got a 20% discount. I double western bacon cheeseburgered my way into gaining 60+ lbs. I discovered these forums a week before the previous 6-week challenge, and while I'm still pretty heavy, I'm a lot stronger and more muscular.

I highly recommend checking out the following sites, as they helped me gain strength and muscle quickly:

http://stronglifts.com/5x5/ - This is a great program for beginners or for people with experience who want to gain their strength back. I catch some flack for saying this, but I feel that you don't need to start lifting just the bar, as the program suggests, if you already have some base strength to work with. I say start with weights that you can complete the whole workout with without sacrificing any form.

http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/ - This may or may not be your cup of tea, but if you don't mind setting aside the time to plan out your meals in advance and counting calories/macros, this calculator can greatly simplify your dieting strategy.

Good luck to you and I look forward to seeing you join the ranks of the warriors!

Interesting, I'll look through these in more detail but they look good so far.  These first couple of weeks I am just trying to wake everything back up. As far as the diet, I am trying out the paleo/primal, and eating as much veggies as I want (not bothering with counting calories for the moment). My nutrition prior to this was so horrible just this switch will have major effects. So far it's been working out pretty good. 4 days and I've dropped 1.4% body fat already. 

Welcome, we're always happy to have another warrior and powerlifter in our ranks.

Looking back to getting into the gym soon?

Yep, I started back on Sunday, and good lord does everything hurt at this point. I'm having fun though and that makes the soreness worth it. 

Here is my battle log so far:

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/47777-o-look-something-heavy-the-log-of-mass-displacement/#entry1010695