Forums are back in action! ×

Hello there!

My name is Jamie... and I am starting over.

My friend tipped me on to NF a month ago and I made the choice to make some positive changes in my life.  I started to revamp my diet, wake up earlier and I was considering trying to approach my problematic job in a new way.

Well, yesterday I was fired from said problematic job.  It was a blow.  It wasn;t completely unexpected, the job had greatly changed ever since new management took over the company about a year ago, and I had been consistently unhappy for months.  My job performance had suffered as a result, but the kick in the pants was that I was fired after the biggest upswing in performance I had in 10-12 months.

And so, I decided tonight that I need to keep myself motivated.  I need to move forward and see this termination as not a bad thing, but the thing that I needed to get me out of a bad situation.  I have some tough decisions to make.  I work in the entertainment industry and one of the reasons I kept a job that frustrated and drained me for so long was due to a general lack of such jobs in the area.  Now I'm debating between seeking a job farther away that is in my field, or seeking a job close by that is not in my field. 

I'm lucky.  I have a supportive fiancee, good health and a loving family.  Now I just need to find a job that encouranges me to shine rather than locks me in a concrete bunker forcing me to answer the phone all day.

I'm scared.  I'm scared that I won't stay motivated and I will not keep improving day by day.  But I have a massive support system and a will of iron to help me through. 

I want to be the beautiful, shining, optimistic person I used to be a dozen years ago when I used to teach martial arts to kids and work with people to make thier lives better.  I just need to figure out how to get back there and turn a decade of stumbling into a fruitful future.

PlainSimpleGarak - PSG - Level 0 Gnome Monk

Str: 0 | Dex: 0 | Sta: 0 | Con: 0 | Wis: 0 | Cha: 0

"Why do we fly?  Because we dreamt of it so long that we must." ~Julian Beck

Welcome to the Rebellion Jamie!

I seems to me like you´ve got the right attitude. Sure, being fired from a job isn´t great news, and I understand that it sucks being fired even though you had an increased performance. But sometimes that isn´t correlated to getting "rewards" and such is life. Perhaps this will be the kick in the pants you need to move towards a job where you can shine. The world needs more people who shine!

Have you thought what you want to do and a plan how to get there?

Anyways, being healthy is a great first step and I´m sure you´ll get motivated on this great forum.

Level 3: Ninja

Current Challenge with the Druids (Nov 2nd-dec 13th)

Every man I meet, is my superior in some way. In that, I learn of him. Emerson

Good question.

For myself I want to get fit again.  I want to be fit enough that once I start earning positive income again I can join martial arts classes and retrain my body back to the black belts I used to hold.  I'm commiting to excercise daily - the beginner bodyweight routine every other day and then some martial arts excercises, stretching and running.  I have been running to help me sleep and get rid of my busy thoughts.

My old job took quite a toll on my health.  Working 12-16 hour days with one or no meal breaks.  I collapsed early in the morning in fall 2013 from not enough food, not enough sleep and too much stress.  After that I tried cutting back on my work hours, but the company I worked for wanted me to cut back on the fulfilling 2nd shift work where I was assisting community performances, and focus on the business administration first shift work - that was soul sucking. 

I find now that I'm reasonably thin (5'-4" and 145ish pounds) but after enduring shoulder and back injuries due to theatre work I can't lift much weight and my endurance blows.  So exercise is a big commitment.  More enegry, better sleep will hopefully make my next job that much better.

I don't quite know what I want in a job, but I find from my own history I was happiest working with people in a way that enriched thier lives. 

I contacted my old undergrad advisor, someone I respect very much this morning.  I hope that maybe talking though some things will help me understand where I really want to go.  I have so many possibilities open to me, the question is what will really make me happy?

Yikes, 12-16 hours a day! Sounds like it was about time you got out of that.

OK, so you´ve got your goals pretty set, BW-program combined with martial arts training, and some running on the side. Seems like a great start!

I suggest you add eating healthy as well (if you don´t already) since that effects everything.

FInally I don´t think there´s just one way to be happy, just one "perfect" job. Now you know what to focus on (helping people), lets start thinking what jobs might fit.

Eating healthy is the one 'starting zone' I have down pat at least.  Way back in the day I was a meal planner for a home that cared for ambulatory adult schitzophrenics, which required me to take nutrition classes through the local university.  They were solid classes, focusing on cutting sugar and junk food out of diets, focusing on vegetables and fruits and healthy protiens.  I still eat some grains, but I'm very choosy about grains and I do extensive cooking. I also have friends who raise grass fed beef cattle so 'half a cow' from the local farm has been a staple in my family for years.

It's the 'eat breakfast, don't skip meals' that kills me.  That was my 2014 new year's resolution.  'Eat breakfast every single day.'

It's the 'eat breakfast, don't skip meals' that kills me.  That was my 2014 new year's resolution.  'Eat breakfast every single day.'

That doesn´t have to be a problem….

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2013/08/06/a-beginners-guide-to-intermittent-fasting/

Oh well, then you´re good with the cutting out sugar, being selective of grains etc, sounds good.

Now, get to work and post a challenge with specific goals!

(Hmm, come to think about it, maybe it´s to late to join this challenge since its ⅓ ongoing? Someone wiser than me have to answer that….:) )