Forums are back in action! ×

It's Dangerous to go Alone; Take This

I really liked yesterday's post on being more adventurous in life. 

For me, that's not too much adventure TYVM.  I dislike travel, and will happily consider a trip into NYC for the day enough!  But I think that there are other ways to be adventurous that don't have to include travel, jet planes or even exercise.

I have always dreamed of getting my PhD. in Molecular biology.  I work in the field now with my B.S. and I am good at it, but I've always wanted that PhD., to run my own research, even if just once.  My ultimate pie-in-the-sky dream?  To work for the Museum of Natural History in NYC.

I've always had excuses though.  The biggest and the hardest to get past is that I don't think I am smart enough.  I was never a good student, I passed and got my degree, but I never studied unless i really loved the topic.  On one hand I know I am not brilliant.  On the other hand I have been working in laboratories since 2001 and dang-it I think it is at least worth a try.

So today I sent out a letter to the admissions team at the local grad school.  I am going to apply to get my graduate degree in molecular bio/biochem.  I don't know if I can do it, but i do know that I will kick myself silly if I never even try.

Who knows, maybe I am smart enough, and if I'm not I will at least find out where my limit is and probably learn quite a bit to boot.

Maybe in a decade's time I will be rocking some research in the Museum, and so happy that I started today.

So, how about the rest of my fellow nerds?  What step are you going to take today to start on a brand new adventure?

• Like 1

Crazyjerseygirl, Level 1 Beast Adventurer
STR 3|DEX 2|STA 3|CON 2|WIS 4|CHA 1