Forums are back in action! ×

I've been here before, shamefully fell off the wagon. So here I am for another try, with plans to do it smarter this time around.

About me:

25, married, with one child. Currently 5'7" and ~165lbs. Functional strength seems okay, no idea what my lifting weights are anymore.

I work an unpredictable second shift. (4pm to 2 or 2.30 am Mon through Fri, with weekends up in the air until Friday afternoon. During the summer I work most Saturdays and some Sundays). I have 2 dogs, a child, and just bought a house.

Time is my enemy. I have so many goals and so many wants to deal with that prioritizing cooking and health is REALLY hard. That's what tripped me up last time I was here.

I'm determined to finally get it right and get my life in order though. Here's to the rebellion!

Challenge 1 | Current Challenge

LEVEL 1 Elan Adventurer

STR 3 | DEX 2 | STA 3 | CON 2 | WIS 3 | CHA 2

Fitocracy | Twitter 

You seem to know your strengths and weaknesses, how do you plan on tackle the big one (to many goals)?

I suggest you make a list of all your goals, divide them up into different categories (fitness, food, work etc) and then try to figure out what to go for. The main thing is to have goals in different areas, not just fitness or work. 

I know it´s hard, but try taking everything in small steps and have small/attainable goals that you can reach, rather than have massive goals which you then ditch all together. 

To the Rebellion!

Level 3: Ninja

Current Challenge with the Druids (Nov 2nd-dec 13th)

Every man I meet, is my superior in some way. In that, I learn of him. Emerson

From someone who just worked five years on a job with a highly unpredictable shift - you have all my support and empathy.

If you ever want to chat about how to deal with it - and the options on the ultimate choice of how to deal with it (aka: leave) please drop a line.  I wish you the very best!

PlainSimpleGarak - PSG - Level 0 Gnome Monk

Str: 0 | Dex: 0 | Sta: 0 | Con: 0 | Wis: 0 | Cha: 0

"Why do we fly?  Because we dreamt of it so long that we must." ~Julian Beck

Thank you both for the support. :)

I think the main way I'm going to tackle things is by having one active goal at a time in each of the areas I'm working on. (So one work, one home life, and one health).

My current home life goal pretty much has to be house training our puppy because obviously nothing needs to take precedence until that is accomplished. So that's simple for a couple months.

Work is also simple, as I'm in limbo waiting on my supervisor to make some decisions.

Health is harder. I can focus on food or on working out. I enjoy working out a lot more than paying attention to food, but food is going to do more for me in the long run I know...

LEVEL 1 Elan Adventurer

Fitocracy | Twitter 

I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who's coming back for more!

I've fallen off the wagon several times, the biggest of which happened over a year ago and from which I have yet to recover fully.

I never fully utilized what Nerd Fitness has to offer me. I think that having a community to support me and hold me accountable would help me get not only to the point that I was before my "fall", but beyond it. Here's hoping that it will help both of us start over!

• Like 1

Race - Ambiguously Human | Guild - None

Level - 0 | STR - ? | DEX - ? | STA - ? | CON - ? | WIS - ? | CHA - ?

I just finished house training my puppy! We recently graduated from crate trained to being free in the basement when left alone...and then she ate the futon :( 

Have you thought about incorporating training with potty training? Every time puppy does a good job and goes outside you do x amount of sit ups, every time puppy has an accident  inside do x amount of push ups (after cleaning and shuffling pup outside, obviously :)

I also started incorporating NF into my 'social media daily check'- I check my gmail, fb daily for updates/messages and stuck NF in there. I also exchanged emails with a few NF people to keep me on track and to email and discuss progress/frustrations/daily advice and that's been absolutely amazing, looking at something and thinking 'oh man, this is bad, do I really want to email so and so about eating/drinking this?' has helped a lot.  

Also, meal-wise what I see A LOT of people do is precook their meals for the week for themselves. I haven't tried it yet, but salads in a jar or easymode chicken and veggies stored for something quick look like an awesome way to stay on track with little time throughout the week. With so little time maybe you can pull in the spouse to help make/plan these meals once a week? 

Welcome back, hope this go around helps you get to your goals!!

Spaz Ranger

BATTLE LOG

You can have results or excuses. Not both

Hi! I totally hear you about finding the time to fit things in. It can be HARD with young kids, especially when working too. I don't have much advice, but lots of encouragement. Do you have a slow cooker? Mine hardly gets used, I should use it more as it is brilliant for those busy days. Pop a stew on before heading out to work and get home to a ready-to-eat meal.

Good luck this time around!

Battle Log - Record from the Front Lines

http://hblyne.com

I definitely need to get a slow cooker next time there's a little space in the budget. Coming home to chili already made would be amazing.

It hadn't occurred to me to use the puppy as a workout trigger but that's a fantastic idea! I foresee lots of push-ups in the next month or so. xD

LEVEL 1 Elan Adventurer

Fitocracy | Twitter 

I started what I think will be a fun form of battle log on tumblr.

I made up a character and a bit of back story, and will be writing little snippets of story here and there based on my training successes (or lack thereof).

I'll have plenty of plain old workout logs too, but I doubt I'll be able to post daily.

Anyway battle log can be found at: 5orrel.tumblr.com

LEVEL 1 Elan Adventurer

Fitocracy | Twitter