Forums are back in action! ×

I've been here before...A reintroduction

Hello Friends,

A little over a year ago, I introduced myself to you all the first time.  However, I let life happen and it really de-railed my ability to be involved in an online community, hardly at all.

First about me:

I'm 29 (hit the dirty 30 next month). Male.  5'9" 187ish lbs.  I work as an engineer for an embedded systems company involved in aviation and defense.  I'm graduating with my BSE from Arizona State University in 2 weeks and I'm a member of the U.S. Army (Arizona National Guard). I'm married and have a half kid ( My German Shepherd, who for all intents and purposes is basically my child, for now...) I enjoyed doing functional training, until I injured myself last August when I royally screwed a Power Snatch in CrossFit. 

While I joined the community prior to my injury, I failed to complete my first challenge. Working full-time and being a full-time student, along with maintaining my marriage put a huge strain on my time management.  Healthy eating and exercise sadly were some of the first things to go, largely due to the time issue.

Now that the doc has cleared me, I'm really excited to get back into a routine, but I'm really hoping to establish some accountability prior to jumping back into the challenges here.  This also means I'm done with my excuses to why I can't work out.

My goals:

• Achieve and exceed pre-injury Army fitness standards (to eventually max the Fitness Test, I usually score a 220-230 out of 300)
  • I want to participate in a Triathalon (This has a whole laundry list of sub-goals)
  • Develop my physique, such that I'm ok with losing the shirt during runs.

I have the NF eBooks, from before the Academy.  I'm debating on using some of those routines to develop my plan.  I don't really have weights so most strength training will be body resistance.

Please feel free to provide guidance and or comments. Actually, please DO,  I'm missing a strong support network to keep me motivated.  I'll likely be joining the current challenge even though I won't get credit for it.  But I'm going to ensure I finish my degree out strong.

Safe Travels friends.

• Like 1

Vanthyr Shadowstalker

Level 1 Human Ranger

STR 2 | DEX 3 | STA 3 | CON 3 | WIS 2 | CHA 2

Hey welcome to NF! Good for you that you had the courage to sign up again. I recognise myself partly in your intro, having a full time job at irregular hours myself. I always keep two things in mind when I think about working out:

1. I never have the time to work out, I always make the time. There is always something to do, somewhere to go or somebody to meet. Therefore, I never have the time to work out. But by postponing, rescheduling and deleting stuff I can always make time to work out.

2. Starting a workout habit is important, but coming back for more is even more important. After you've made that first step, coming back is all you're going to have to do, all you can do. If everything goes right you wille be coming back to your place of sports far more times then you have started. By keeping your mindset on coming back as opposed to starting, you can avoid pitfalles such as "Oh I took a breather yesterday, I can take a breather today as well". Coming back keeps me from having to start again :)

I wish you good luck on your challenge (I'm doing my first one now). Please feel free to add yourself to my friends list, and drop me a line if you have to :)

you'll find my first challenge at http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/46822-peelwandelaars-challenge-1/

• Like 1

SUCCESS IS A CHOICE

Thank you for the word of encouragement.  I completely agree with you on making time versus having time.  Fortunately, I graduate next week from school and I've already started my professional career style job with regular hours.  Sooo, It should be much easier shortly!

Good luck to you as well! Once I get my challenege written up, I'll share it with you.  It'll likely carry into the next 6 week since this one is about half over. :)

Vanthyr Shadowstalker

Level 1 Human Ranger

I apologyse for the late response, it's been kinda hectic this week with 6 shifts but I'm finally on a payed 14 day holiday now :) First of all, congratulations on your graduation! On the health front, maybe you can use the next couple of weeks to think about how to arrange things to facilitate the challenge. It helped me quite a lot to have the time to think where I'm going to be in the long run, versus what steps I  need to take in the next challenge to get there. Setting goals you know. Looking at your posts you are in a perfect position to shape up, wait till the drill sergeant gets a hold of you ;) You must have facilities to boot.

I'm at the end of my first 4th week now, I laid a pretty hefty challenge for me at least that's how I'm feeling now. I'm also looking forward to your first challenge post!

SUCCESS IS A CHOICE

Thank you! Indeed, I'm already working to align some goals for the next challenge.  I have a lot that I want to work on.  Fortunately, no drill sergeants for me, done with that part of my career.  Now, I need to maintain and improve my physical shape to be an example for my soldiers.  Unfortunately, facilities is a large part of my issue. 

I am considering returning to mainly body weight resistance and cardio programs from NF, or trying to do CrossFit again.  We shall see.

Vanthyr Shadowstalker

Level 1 Human Ranger