Forums are back in action! ×

Got to get my shit together

So I'm here because I've finally acknowledged that I can't do this alone.

I was a varsity swimmer since I could walk, all the way up to my university days, but going into my working years (around 6 years ago) I've allowed myself to fall into a sedentary, fast food and caffeine fuelled lifestyle. As an athlete for basically my entire life, I've taken my fitness a bit for granted - until my last medical exam results came in and I am officially grossly obese.

I'm wanting to get back in shape but starting to get active again just drives home the fact that I'm now incapable of doing even an eighth of what I was once capable of. To top it all off, my muscle memory keeps kicking in and I end up maintaining an unsustainable pace when I run, walk, or bike, and I'm winded and in pain and thoroughly discouraged after a mere ten minutes.

So yeah. I need help. My head is chockful of advanced workouts that don't help me anymore, and the basics I started with are inefficient and outdated.

Another thing I am, though, is an avid gamer and certified geek. And I know for a fact that geeks, more than anyone else in the world, are capable of doing absolutely anything they put their minds to. They're smart, passionate, and extremely analytical in the way they approach things. And insofar as dedication goes, you'd be hard-pressed to find people who are as gluttonous for punishment as a gamer (here's looking at you, Emerald Weapon).

TL;DR

I'm looking forward to being part of a community of like-minded individuals who share my passion for self-improvement, whether it be in this world or in a virtual one. :)

Cheers.

• Like 2

Using Tapatalk

Welcome, John!!!  This is a great place to be and get support while getting back in shape.  It's tough getting BACK in shape.  I know - I let myself "go" during graduate school and am struggling to get fit enough to run and do karate again.  But we can do it!!

You can use NF a couple of ways.  If you like, you can hang out in the main area and pick up tips. 

A lot of us like to do the 6-week challenges to keep the motivation high by discussing and interacting with people who are pursuing similar fitness goals and strategies.  If you're a gamer, you might really like the RP aspect of the challenges and guilds.  Check out the orientation guild:  http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/forum/352-level-1-rebels/ and feel free to JUMP IN.  It's never to late to start the "6-week" challenge.

Ask questions and feel free to send me a message using the mail system (envelope at the top of the page). 

Level 63 Human ... Oath of Ancients Paladin

"We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less."  - Kurt Hahn

STR: 14 | DEX: 14| CON: 17 | INT: 17 | WIS: 17 | CHA: 14

The SIde Tracked Quest (rough draft)