Forums are back in action! ×

What's up Nerd Fitness!

Hello everyone.  I am Noitca.  I found NF early this year and have been reading a ton of the content on here, both the blog and the community.  I finally registered the other day. 

I am a 37 year old guy, 6'2" 195 lb.  Though I haven't always been that way.

I was active and played sports in high school.  Once the sports season ended my senior year, I began gaining weight.  In college, I topped out at 265 lb, and was way out of shape.  At one point, I ended up in the doctors office for a pinched nerve in my leg (which is fine), and it was revealed that I had high blood pressure.  I was put on medicine for that, and told it was directly because of my weight.  I was also told that almost everyone who is put on blood pressure medicine never gets off because they never lose enough weight to get things under control on their own.  At 26 years old, that was just the motivation I needed to make a change.  I dropped 50 lb in about 2 years.  Kicked the meds in a little over 3.  Weight wise, I hovered around 215 for 3 or 4 years.  Then spent another 6 years or so around 200 to 205.  For the past 6 months I have been consistently under 200. 

Anyway,

I love working out and fitness, though I am not one of those that going to the gym defines "me".  I find that going to the gym and being fit is one of the necessary pieces of gear that I need to enjoy life.

What I am good at and focus on.

I am already generally active and workout a lot.  I like strength based stuff, and prefer to get cardio by doing fitness classes, reducing the rest time between sets, or going out and playing sports.

What I am not good at:

There are a whole bunch of things that I am not good at, some of which I want to change.  Goal setting is one.  I can come up with overall goals that I want, but lack the ability to come up with good incremental goals.  Another is stretching.  I am not flexible and inconsistent with it.

This place seems like a great community that has a lot of feedback and interaction.  I look forward to getting into everything and working on the things that I want to change that I am not good at.

• Like 2

"Up Up Down Down Left Right Left Right B A B A"

Challenge: #1

First off, congrats on making those changes, and on your pretty bleeding impressive weight loss so far. :encouragement:

I think you'll get a lot out of this place, and you sound like you'll be able to contribute plenty of tips and advice yourself. On the subject of goal setting, why don't you pop on over to the six week challenge forum and have a snoop at what some of the rest of us are doing for our challenges.  That would be a good way to get some inspiration, and to see what works for other people.  I get where you're coming from on the "incremental goals" and I found it really useful to follow some of the other members challenges for a while, to get some ideas.

All the best

• Like 1

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

Thanks,

I have been over looking at the challenge stuff trying to get a grasp on how things work.  Good idea looking at some of the members challenges.  Will do that.

Great place so far.  I have to try and limit myself during the day so I can do my real job.  :(

• Like 1

"Up Up Down Down Left Right Left Right B A B A"

Challenge: #1