Forums are back in action! ×

Howdy! So my sister showed me this website, and it seemed like a pretty cool, judgement free way to get some accountability! 

I'm not great at typed intros, so bear with me. I am an undergrad student at Texas A&M (whoop!), and I grew up, like most people in Texas, playing every sport. I mainly played basketball and volleyball but ran cross country on the side to build endurance. I was never a big fan of running, but there's something really awesome about seeing yourself be able to run further than you could the last time (just like when you can lift more than the last time!). I, like many college students, am a big fan of going out and having a good time, especially when beer and margaritas are involved, and also live on a tiny budget to buy food. The combination of cheap, easy food with alcohol and no longer being an athlete took its toll. I got out of shape and gained about 20 pounds my first two years of college. I've been a lot better this year about getting to the gym, but it usually will happen in spurts for two weeks on then a month off. Instead of just temporary gym weeks, I'm trying to improve my lifestyle. I work at a camp over the summer with not so healthy meals (there are minimal healthy options) and no gym. Right now, I'm trying to ween myself off "sucking at working out," get back into running, and start making better decisions about what I put in my body (including the booze, which I will not be having for the next 3 months  :numbness: ). I leave for camp in about a month, which gives me a short term goal of increasing my endurance to be able to go out and run a mile or two nonstop every morning and learning some good body weight workouts to tone up. My longer term challenge, in addition to building my endurance up (my roommate and I want to at least run a 5k next semester), is to hopefully see some changes in weight and the way I feel! I read Staci's page, and it kind of changed my outlook from losing weight to making myself stronger and more athletic (and then enjoying the benefits from there!) instead of focusing on getting to a number. If anybody has any good tips on things they've done or ways to hold yourself accountable, I'd love to hear and talk!

• Like 2

Whats up? As a big fan of squatting, I dig your name. College did the same thing to me too.

One of the best ways that I've found to keep yourself accountable with these forums is to either sign up for a 6-week challenge or keep a daily battle log (or both). The supportive community around here will keep you accountable and encouraged. Setting goals and writing them down for others to see helps immensely. Good luck and welcome to Nerd Fitness!

Level 2. Saiyan Warrior - Training with the Adventurers

STR: 4 | DEX: 2 | STA: 2 | CON: 4 | WIS: 1 | CHA: 1

Powering Up Phase 1 - Shedding the Fat

Starting Weight: 250lbs | Current Weight: 215lbs | Goal Weight: 200lbs

Zombies, Run!!  5K training app is a good way to get back into running. 

Level 63 Human ... Oath of Ancients Paladin

"We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less."  - Kurt Hahn

STR: 14 | DEX: 14| CON: 17 | INT: 17 | WIS: 17 | CHA: 14

The SIde Tracked Quest (rough draft)

You can also post to try and find a 'sidekick'- someone to talk to and support on their goals too. 

Child of Æsir | Freelancing Monk Journeyman Chef
"Iron is full of impurities that weaken it; through the forging fire, it becomes steel and is transformed into a razor-sharp sword. Human beings develop in the same fashion. â€â€“ O-Sensei

Daily Battle Log Epic Quest | Sidekick Search

Howdy! So my sister showed me this website, and it seemed like a pretty cool, judgement free way to get some accountability! 

I'm not great at typed intros, so bear with me. I am an undergrad student at Texas A&M (whoop!), and I grew up, like most people in Texas, playing every sport. I mainly played basketball and volleyball but ran cross country on the side to build endurance. I was never a big fan of running, but there's something really awesome about seeing yourself be able to run further than you could the last time (just like when you can lift more than the last time!). I, like many college students, am a big fan of going out and having a good time, especially when beer and margaritas are involved, and also live on a tiny budget to buy food. The combination of cheap, easy food with alcohol and no longer being an athlete took its toll. I got out of shape and gained about 20 pounds my first two years of college. I've been a lot better this year about getting to the gym, but it usually will happen in spurts for two weeks on then a month off. Instead of just temporary gym weeks, I'm trying to improve my lifestyle. I work at a camp over the summer with not so healthy meals (there are minimal healthy options) and no gym. Right now, I'm trying to ween myself off "sucking at working out," get back into running, and start making better decisions about what I put in my body (including the booze, which I will not be having for the next 3 months  :numbness: ). I leave for camp in about a month, which gives me a short term goal of increasing my endurance to be able to go out and run a mile or two nonstop every morning and learning some good body weight workouts to tone up. My longer term challenge, in addition to building my endurance up (my roommate and I want to at least run a 5k next semester), is to hopefully see some changes in weight and the way I feel! I read Staci's page, and it kind of changed my outlook from losing weight to making myself stronger and more athletic (and then enjoying the benefits from there!) instead of focusing on getting to a number. If anybody has any good tips on things they've done or ways to hold yourself accountable, I'd love to hear and talk!

Texas A&M? I go to Prairie View A&M. Small world :). Anyway, do you think may have jumped too quickly back into the fitness thing? I tried to go all out at once and ended up snapping. I know its cliche but slow and steady wins the race. If there is anything I've learned is try to keep you expectations a bit more realistic. Don't expect too much and know when to tell yourself good job every once in a while and mean it.