Forums are back in action! ×

My name is Jules, I'll be 54 in June, I'm 5'8", about 175lbs and despite being from Canada, I still don't know my height and weight in metric.

My fitness goals are to become fitter and stronger (leaner and lighter will follow). I cycle to work most days and although I live only 4km from work, most days, for the sake of fitness, I take a longer route, up to 23km/direction (about 1hr). About 6 weeks ago, I joined a local gym and have been going 3-4x/wk, mostly for weights as my commuting covers my cardio. Last week, on one trip in to work, part of my bike commute was "converted" to a series of HIIT intervals but I didn't try to burn myself out because after the HIIT component of the ride was completed, I still had about 8km to go into work, including a ~1km hill. I will try to maintain this fitness regime until winter sets in and then I may walk to and from work.

I try to eat relatively well and not too much but I do get carb cravings about once a week in an evening and often satisfy it with a peanut butter sandwich. I realize that just because I exercise, I don't have licence to eat as much as I want but on the other hand, according to MapMyFitness.com, my daily commuting burns ~1,700cal/day so maybe my cravings are a result of insufficient intake(?).

My wish is to have NerdFitness help me with motivation and advice and answer questions I may have.

• Like 1

Challenge Logs: Current Challenge 3 2 1 Battlelog

Origin of Name:

FN: Julian -> Jules -> Family Jewels -> Family

LN: Rickards = Canadian brand of Beer -> Beer

Call me "FamilyBeer" (or just Jules)

Hi Jules,

Thanks for your post on my intro thread, I actually responded to it before I found your thread here. 

I don't have much advice or answers to give, but if you don't mind I would love to follow your journey, especially if you start on any of the 6 week challenges or battle/woot logs, they're in various parts of the forums you'll probably see eventually. I think it's absolutely great what you've done so far and your goals are sound, I will be cheering you on.  I started getting into shape around the same time as you (about 6 weeks ago I started going to the gym, it has progressed from cardio to mix of cardio and weights as now I prefer my cardio outdoors), so I suppose it feels like its a similar starting place.

Thanks Jeanette, it's a pleasure to meet you.

I think I have settled on a NF goal, to complete (regardless of time) the 300 Fitness Challenge but, at this time, I don't know how to work towards that, what exercises/routines, etc. For the time being, I will continue using my current routine at the gym and then convert when I have a better sense as to what I need to do to meet my challenge.

I will register a 6-week goal/challenge on the NF forums and I'm glad that the next 6-week period doesn't start for a while so that I have time to prepare and learn rather than wasting the first couple of weeks fumbling around.

I'm a little confused as to the organization of these forums so I don't know quite where to go to ask questions but I'll fumble around with that for the next few days too.

Good luck on your journey, Jeanette, I'll be cheering you on too (forgive the time delay, we're at opposite ends of the earth).

Challenge Logs: Current Challenge 3 2 1 Battlelog

Origin of Name:

FN: Julian -> Jules -> Family Jewels -> Family

LN: Rickards = Canadian brand of Beer -> Beer

Call me "FamilyBeer" (or just Jules)

Hey guys! Umodiel - I hope you read this too :)

Just thought I'd stop by and say hello! I see you've already started a battle log, which is good. It really helps to stay accountable when you have to write out your workouts and put them out there for everyone else to see.  The 6 week challenges run continually with a week off in between each one, so you've got a couple of weeks to find your feet and get a good feel for the place just in time to join in on the next one. I'd recommend having a good snoop through some of the challenge threads to see what other people are doing and get ideas. For your first challenge you'll have to start as a Level 1, but then after that you can join the guild that matches up with your goals, probably the Warriors for you??? You can chop and change your guild each challenge if you want to do something different.

There's plenty of good advice in the technical forums (like the Nutrition forum or the Running or Powerlifting forums) and there's a lot of social banter goes on in The Pub (in the Rebel Army Base Camp) Just feel free to join in any discussions, all the members are really great and you'll be made to feel really welcome. Some of the threads in The Pub are reeeeaaaaally long, and amazingly off topic anyway, so just read the last few pages and join in, lol!

• Like 1

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously