Forums are back in action! ×

So although I say I always hate these things I have a feeling this is going to be a long one...

Hello, my name is Charlee. I live in Maricopa, AZ an awesome little town south of Phoenix. I have been reading the newsletters for almost a year and figured its time for me to make an account and poke in on the forums and see if I can make some new friends and maybe some hiking buddies.

I started reading nerd fitness last summer and loved it. I love the paleo diet and feel so much better on it (even though I am not currently following it).

I started the year off awesome. Doing the hard hat challenge and putting a big red x on my calendar everyday that I made an effort to better my life and exercise. But then I tried running again (and by running I mean a slow slow jog) and my legs would go numb from the knee down and nothing seemed to help it. It depressed me that I couldn't run and I stopped running and doing other workouts and stopped eating paleo.

In March I was hospitalized for almost a week with Meningitis and was on bed rest for another week after that. Needless to say nothing makes you have to start over at ground zero like being deathly ill.

I currently have a new job as a driver and am on the road most of the day. To stay busy and try to make a healthy effort I went and got a gym membership now that I have the money for it. I have went a few times and it feels great to be lifting weights. I missed that so much. But I never realzied how much lack of sleep effects your work outs. I very rarely get 8 hours of sleep and it takes days for my body to recover from a single workout. It doesn't help that truck stops don't exactly offer tons of healthy meal choices. Any one have any tips for staying healthy on the road?

P.S. How can I add a picture and my age? It won't let me.

• Like 1

Healthy eating on the road .... I used to spend about 1/2 a year out at client sites, installing software and training people to use it correctly.  I'd hit a grocery store whenever I got to town and stock up on bagels, yogurt, cheese, and pre-cleaned and cut veggies (celery and carrots) and fruits.  Cheaper than restaurants!!  If I didn't have a fridge handy, I'd cheat toward things that kept without refrigeration. 

Workouts.  The numbness after running is troubling.  Have you seen a doctor?  Nevertheless, walking works just fine.  You might pick up a weighted vest or hand weights if walking seems a bit too tame.  For strength training, I always did bodyweight workouts:  http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/ and improvised "weights" with found items. 

Level 63 Human ... Oath of Ancients Paladin

"We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less."  - Kurt Hahn

STR: 14 | DEX: 14| CON: 17 | INT: 17 | WIS: 17 | CHA: 14

The SIde Tracked Quest (rough draft)

Thanks! I try to get fruit when possible. Unfourtunatly since what I do id "expedite" sometimes I barely have enough time to fuel and pee. I try to make better choices when possible because I feel better when I eat "clean". I literally live out of a van. I try to get fruit for breakfast but have you ever seen truck stop fruit? It's scary to stay the least!

I had xrays of my lower back for the leg issue and everything was good there. After my hospital stint I tried running again and if I stay off concrete I don't seem to have the issue which is nice.