Forums are back in action! ×

Slates Intro, SUPER psyched to be here!

I’m Slates and I’m new to NF. In fact, I found out about it maybe a week ago and have been reading the forums in my downtime non-stop. I’m a 26 y.o. in the DC area in the US, with a decent desk job I love and am fortunate enough to have already paid off undergrad school loans, bought a house last year and adopted a dog on top of already having 2 cats.

I've always had issues with body image, falling in and out of both diets and eating disorders since my first year of high school and always struggled with food. I always was able to pick up and do some workouts and the weight would go fairly easily so after a month or two I’d stop because I was ‘where I wanted to be’ weight wise and I didn't really have any motivation to keep at it…and then the weight would creep back along with the pesky body image thoughts, which led to depressive episodes and a few eating disorders. I've been disorder free for a few years now, but those thoughts are sometimes right around the corner at the most unexpected times and I’m ready to completely get rid of them and step into a healthy new lifestyle. I want to prove to myself that I can get the physique I always wanted by not only eating well but by keeping up a workout regimen that keeps my mind and body healthy.

Along with working a full time job, I’m in the process of getting my Master’s degree (hopefully in Nov.!!) so my schedule is full. I kept using the excuse “oh, between work, school, caring for the house, pets and setting time aside for the S.O. I really can’t commit to anything.†But that’s not true. I always found time to browse imgur for hours, play ESO, WoW, Rift or Diablo III and/or sit on the couch and binge-watch Trailer Park Boys, Psych, 30 Rock, Archer or watch all 3 seasons of GoT on DVD, AGAIN…usually while enjoying some kind of awful snack or drinking craft beer. I always thought of this as MY time to unwind.   

A few weeks  ago I started waking up early and taking the pup out for a walk/jog with the SO and a week after that started going to the gym 4+ times a week for  spinning class (which I absolutely LOVE, originally I was going to do it twice a week but I am HOOKED).  I then completed the Warrior Dash this past weekend, and that motivated me to keep going to see what else I could accomplish, which led to me signing up for the Army 10 miler with my company team.  I've turned my ‘me time’ into spinning class for now and guess what? Even with everything else I STILL have a couple hours to wreck face in Diablo. However running is still not something I do regularly so I need help prepping/training!

So rundown of my major goals:

Eat healthier (cut out breads and most dairy)

Run Army 10 Miler in Oct.

Keep up my cardio/introduce weights to my regimen

I have my Challenge all written out and ready to go, but I wasn't sure where to post it, excited to start logging and to have a community of people to work towards goals with starting on the 25th  :D

Tootles!

Spaz Ranger

BATTLE LOG

You can have results or excuses. Not both

Welcome Slates.

What you need is a spinning machine hooked up to a small generator that powers your PC..then you could kill 2 birds with one stone! I got sucked back into Diablo again with RoS.. I was trying to hold out until it released in the xbox One but succumbed to the temptation.

Good luck with your first challenge!

Hahaha, I wish! I'd kill my toons in a heartbeat as soon as I slowed, that would be a heck of an additional twist on HC!

I was sucked back into it through friends although with this buff on legendaries I've been super lucky with drops- and even though I've been playing less, I've been getting more gear than friends who play 4 or 5 times as long as I do, so maybe I do have some luck this go around!

Spaz Ranger

BATTLE LOG

Same here! I can't juggle a raid or set times to play anymore, just whenever I have time and see friends on. Between a house, pets, friends, full time work and trying to get back into a healthy lifestyle I feel like I have no time. Although no responsibilities and gaming all day does sound nice at times, haha, that's what some off days are for whenever you can manage I guess!

Is your bro playing a Hardcore character on T6?! If not that seems to be the next logical step for someone who thinks the game isn't hardcore enough!! If so, then maybe he needs to find a different game, haha...Or play a Demon Hunter on hardcore T6!

• Like 1

Spaz Ranger

BATTLE LOG

Same here! I can't juggle a raid or set times to play anymore, just whenever I have time and see friends on. Between a house, pets, friends, full time work and trying to get back into a healthy lifestyle I feel like I have no time. Although no responsibilities and gaming all day does sound nice at times, haha, that's what some off days are for whenever you can manage I guess!

Is your bro playing a Hardcore character on T6?! If not that seems to be the next logical step for someone who thinks the game isn't hardcore enough!! If so, then maybe he needs to find a different game, haha...Or play a Demon Hunter on hardcore T6!

He claims HC characters are too susceptible to "lag" ;) He has moved onto ESO now which I would like to give a go around sooner or later.

• Like 1