Forums are back in action! ×

Okay, I'm going to stop creeping on this website and join in on the fun!

So allow me to introduce myself...

I am a 27-year-old married nerd with a Master's in Sport Psychology.  I ride horses competively, in an insane sport known as eventing, where we gallop horses at large immovable objects for fun!  I also teach riding lessons, and of course provide sport psychology consultations, clinics, workshops, etc., to other riders.  

I normally ride 2-3 horses a day, and until recently, I felt like that was enough to keep me in shape.  I felt pretty strong and fit, and had no trouble with my labor-intensive job as a barn manager.

Then my friends, an upper level eventer (that's what we're called in my sport), a national guard lieutenant, and her husband the Army Ranger (you can't make this up folks!) challenged me to join them in the Savage Race.  "Sure!" I said.  Who doesn't love a little masochism??

I died.  

Okay, well not completely.  I did pretty decent considering the only time I ran before the four weeks leading up to this event (you know, when I said oh snap, we have to run 6 miles for this?!) was when my friends and I would randomly play "uh oh zombie apocalypse!" and try to out run each other...usually while intoxicated.

On top of that, seeing pictures of us at the race...them with their happy shiny faces and tiny bodies, and then me, the 5'8 giant (why are all my friends so short??) with the look of "dear god kill me now" and not willing to rock the sports bras like they did, made me realize that I needed to...no...I wanted to do more, to do better.

To add insult to injury...erm....I mean to continue to encourage me, I am now the proud mom of a rather large 17 hand off the track thoroughbred (1 hand = 4 inches, and we measure them at the top of their back where the neck meets to give you an idea) that I am responsible for getting in shape and galloping around aforementioned course.  After a week on him, I recognized my need for not only weight loss, but for strength training.

Which brings me here. With you amazing people.

As the summers here are hotter than Hades, I decided to supplement my riding with joining a local 24/7 gym.  It's no frills, cardio, machines and free weights.  After reading and researching, I've opted for the free weights.  After a week of piddling around, trying to get back into working out (it's been about a decade), I did my first "real" workout with free weights on Friday.

My legs hurt.  Oh man, they hurt so good.

I was a little nervous when I first went to the free weight area, as during the previous week, it was mainly filled with big guys grunting and bulging.  However, when I rounded the corner on Friday, it was empty, save for one other girl (an ally?!) and after exchanging pleasantries, we both went to work, headphones in, giving each other grins every now and then that said "nani nani boo boo boys, we can do this too!"

So, hopefully the procrastinator in me will stay away, I'll keep up with this forum, check out the challenges and make some great friends!

(Posting a picture of my horse and I at a recent training clinic...because ponies!!) 

PDC-13-1214-C0C5-479.jpg