Forums are back in action! ×

Chtilander : French newbie onboard !

Hi guys and gals !

I'm in, so let me introduce myseft in this post.

first of all, excuse my english, I'm french, so english ain't my native language !

second, sorry for the long post (and I'm sure I forgot many important things by the way...)

-> I was born 33 years ago in north of France, close to Belgium and moved to south west (Toulouse area) in 2006. At that time, I weighted around 105kg (232 lb) for 1.84m tall (6ft) -- my wife is a "good" cook : makes loads of tasty meals  :redface-new:

-> When I moved house, I decided to try to level up my life and loose weight : I limited my amount of carbs, registered in a gym club, stopped smoking, I made it to around 85kg (187lb) in a few months...

-> But life to over it, I stopped exercising, ate... what I wanted to, started smoking again, I didn't really put on weight but feel weak...

-> Last year, our first baby arrived, and I decided I wanted to become better (level up my life) for him, my wife... and myselft !

I discovered artofmanliness, which made me discover nerdfitness... more than one year from now.

I started Beginner's Bodyweight Routine, but didn't catch up at the time.

What I learned from artofmanliness is that I have to ACT to become a better dad and to make my son proud of me. So I decided to make small changes at a time (wet shaving with safety razor, move from a boy's haircut to a man's one, dress up, grow a beard, ...)

-> Last week, I decided it was enough and that I had to really change : I registered for the Free Rebel Starter Kit : reading it made it clear that I really am a ... underpants gnome ! (That's the way I behave on various aspects of my life, not being able to name it before Steve put words on it!)

-> So following Steve's advice I decided to start NOW.

So now, I'm going Paleo (I already gave this a try in 2006, not knowing how to call it) and make  the Beginner's Bodyweight Routine : this time I'm going to catch up and go it on the long term (I'm sure and motivated !).

I also try to have my wife do it with me (31 / 1.71m-5'7" / 88kg-194lb / "I'm too busy liar") who tried different diets (including WW) and wants to be in better shape because she doesn't like the way she looks now.

We're going to make it as a team and track our progress.

My personnal target is to be stronger and in better shape tomorrow than I am today, I'd like to be closer than me 15 years ago (fit and around 74kg - 163lb), be a better dad and husband and be able to do several pull-ups !

Apart from that, I do lots of things (you know, I really am an underpants gnome...) : we started offroad biking a few months ago (everyone in the family likes it, including our little boy on daddy's bike !), we've both been praticing couple dance (swing) for 3 years at 2.5h per week (for myselft), 1.25h per week for my wife), I train dogs for agility (3h per week, we have 2 dogs) and give dog education lessons, I also do a lot of photographs, drive a motorcycle, a little bit of sport shooting (precision with handgun on fixed targets) and fly fishing (during holidays)... I've previously done climbing, car and plane model piloting, swimming, tennis, group fitness, sailing boat, volley ball, played guitar, played accordion (nearly 15 years of practice and group playing!)... (yeah ! a real underpants gnome ! I never really became good at any of these hobbies... I moved on to something else when I got "bored" and wanted to learn something new...)

I'm on my way to level up myselft.

Hope to ear from you, 

Fabien.

From a fellow francophone, newbie, and underpants gnome: Welcome!

You definitely look like you have a lot on your plate with the hobbies, the family, and everything else. However, I prefer being busy to being bored. Like yourself, I have a history of getting into new hobbies, never getting very good at said hobbies, and moving on to other things. I always worry about it, because I don't want to put in a lot of time, money, and effort, only to lose interest in it. My newest, and most expensive, hobby is photography, which I took up almost a year ago. I haven't been practicing as much as I would like, so I'm not very good yet.

I think that working together with your wife will be helpful. You have somebody to keep you accountable, somebody to keep you motivated when you work out, and somebody who can offer you advice, suggestions, and opinions. Combine that with all the resources that are available through the Nerd Fitness Rebellion, and you have a pretty good support network. Take advantage of it.

Best of luck!

Race - Ambiguously Human | Guild - None

Level - 0 | STR - ? | DEX - ? | STA - ? | CON - ? | WIS - ? | CHA - ?