Forums are back in action! ×

Lifelong nerd checking in

Hello all.

I have been tabletop gaming and attending sci-fi cons since I was knee high to a grasshopper.  I also LARP and read a great deal of sci-fi and fantasy. 

Until my mid-twenties, I was one of those irritating folks who could eat whatever and do little to no excercise and still be quite skinny.  After that I had a very on again/off again relationship with working out and eating healthy.  Basically I'd work out just enough to start getting in shape and "reward" myself by slacking until I was out of shape again.  Things sort of crashed at the end of 2012 when a bad break up coincided with my last semester of college.  I gave up all together on the working out and healthy eating and just started getting back into it this past March.  I have been alternating the Beginner Body Weight workout with a kickboxing routine and a good long yoga routine on my rest days.  I have also been very mindful of what I eat and tracking my food on livestrong.com.  Everything was going swimmingly, though I did over indulge on my birthday a couple of weeks ago (37, yikes!).  Unfortunately, my left ankle has started bothering me somewhat.  The pain isn't debilitating or constant. It seems to be exacerbated by a lot of footwork (which makes jumping jacks and kick boxing uncomfortable) and has been slowly getting worse.  Like a good girl, I called my doctor who said to stop exercising until the pain subisides, and if it persists he'll refer me to an orthopedist.

Stop exercising!?

I'm going to assume he means any exercise that will put strain on my ankle. Thus far, squats and lunges haven't bothered it at all.  But that eliminates a lot of stuff that pumps up my heart rate.  I would love any suggestions for mat/floor work that won't hurt my stupid defective joint.  I don't have a gym membership, but I'm willing to spend a small amount of money on home equipment (small weight set/fitness ball).  Thanks and it's great to be here!

Welcome aboard!

Was it your GP that suggested this? I have noticed that as my GP work load increases, his responses tend to trend toward waiting 2 weeks and hoping whatever ails me fixes itself. I fully believe if I rung him and said I had chopped my arm off he would ask me to wait two weeks and see if it re-attaches itself.

I think low impact stuff would probably be safe (though the standard disclaimer applies that your doc's advice should trump anything you read on the internets).

Pushups, pullups, dips, planks likely don't put alot of stress on the ankle. Anything you could perform seated like overhead dumbell press, on on your knees like a dumbell row would be good. Might be an excellent time to grab a kettlebell and focus on movements that don't involve a lot of ankle flexing.

Was it your GP that suggested this?

It was.  I think it's the first time I've ever had to call him for anything other for my yearly check up to get my allergy meds. I've always been in pretty good health.

I am currently scouring craigslist and the local secondhand sporting goods store for some inexpensive kettlebells and dumbells.  I think my home workout is going to be pretty limited without it and this whole ankle dilemma has really highlighted that fact.  Thanks for the advice!