Forums are back in action! ×

Setting fresh goals, learning to lift, etc.

Hi everyone! I'm new here. Today is my 26th birthday, so I'm setting some goals like it's the new year. 

I have my first session with a personal trainer today after work. I've been reading up on weight lifting and I'm going to try it out to help build some muscle. I've also been doing some piyo and occasionally a torturous spinning class (still not a fan...). 

I have always been in pretty good shape, but the past year has been tough. I took a new job that was too far away from the Pure Barre studio I'd loved working out at, settled into married life and drank a lot of beer.

I'm at the heaviest I have ever been (134 lbs...not horrible, but not where I want to be at 5 foot tall) and yesterday I realized I can't even get on the shorts I wore on my honeymoon in 2012. Ahh! Not cool. This morning I took a "before" selfie in the mirror to help me check my progress since I feel like I shouldn't rely on what the scale says. 

I'm trying to set some goals right now for how often I will work out, how much I want to lose, how I should eat, etc. I already eat fairly healthy (lean, grilled meats and veggies) and I think the alcohol and sugary foods are my issue. I'm going to shoot to work out each week day at either lunch or after work. And, I'm going to set a few "rewards" for when I meet milestones, such as getting that new tattoo I've been wanting. 

Any tips? 

Hey :)) Well, I'm new on this forum too.

It is really nice that you are setting such great goals.

If you are starting lifting, I say focus on compound movements such as squat, deadlift, bench press, over head press, bent over row, pull up and chin up. Also my advice would be to track your macros (protein/carb/fat) since I don't believe in ''eating clean''. But that is something discussible.. So enjoy your time :)

Cat

Race: Wizard | Class: 

[Level: 0 | STR 0 | DEX 0 | STA 0 | CON 0 | WIS 0 | CHA 0 ]

April 13th - May 25th

Challenge

16%
16%

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/62944-cats-getting-ready/

PvP

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/62504-weightloss-pvp-10-lbs-10-weeks-march-30-june-8/

10%
10%

Thanks, cat5555! My meeting with the trainer fell through yesterday, so we're rescheduled for today.

I'm tracking my food with MyFitnessPal to see protein and such. I don't exactly "eat clean," but I'm definitely making an active effort to not eat junk!