Forums are back in action! ×

Jump rope recommendation

Hey rebels,

My gym does not stock jump ropes. I'd like to add this to my workouts/warmups but I am at a lot for what is considered a good rope to use. They have kids ropes, weighted ropes, ropes just made of string. So I ask you jumpers out there, what is a decent rope to use?

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

I started out with a handle-weighted "Everlast" one from Wal-mart. It had ball bearings in the handles. After only a few sessions the cord ripped out of the handle. After getting tired of messing with it I bossed up and just use the cord now. Helps improve grip strength in the hands too.

Time to climb.

I've used a lot, from old leather ones when I boxed, to the plastic link kind, to the rubber ones with the ball bearings and such.

NOTHING compares to these:

http://www.roguefitness.com/ultra-speed-cable-jump-ropes.php

Ultra Speed Ropes. The design is a bit unorthodox, but man, do they ever spin.

Like, seriously, they MOVE. Not only can you get double unders with them, but they can likely decapitate a zombie.

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." --GK Chesterton

Domine, non sum dignus ut intres sub tectum meum, sed tantum dic verbo et sanabitur anima mea...

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jbaileysewell

After getting tired of messing with it I bossed up and just use the cord now. Helps improve grip strength in the hands too.

Your avatar makes me frightened that I am not as boss as you. Stop it. :P

Not only can you get double unders with them, but they can likely decapitate a zombie.

I do like multipurpose tools...

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

I've had good luck with a plastic one from Fred Meyer. It looks like a jelly bracelet with black handles and I was able to do doubleunders with it back in high school, though I haven't tried recently. Only problem I've had is if you use it on concrete or asphalt it starts to rough up the plastic from rubbing on the ground and will probably wear through if used very frequently on that kind of surface.

I've used a lot, from old leather ones when I boxed, to the plastic link kind, to the rubber ones with the ball bearings and such.

NOTHING compares to these:

http://www.roguefitness.com/ultra-speed-cable-jump-ropes.php

Ultra Speed Ropes. The design is a bit unorthodox, but man, do they ever spin.

Like, seriously, they MOVE. Not only can you get double unders with them, but they can likely decapitate a zombie.

seconded, i own one of these as well, amazing rope. ultralite, and very fast.

I use just a generic speed rope that's similar to the ones recommended above. I've used leather ones quite a bit because most of the ones at my boxing club are old style leather ones. I wouldn't recommend them simply because it's just so easy to make a mistake and then get smacked on the hand/back of the head by a fast moving piece of leather rope, which stings like you wouldn't believe