Forums are back in action! ×

Fitness Reboot: the Epic Quest begins (again)

So this is a re-introduction of sorts. I had been a member of the NF community a few years back, started one of the first challenges run here, failed, quit, and disappeared from the NF message boards (though I did remain a follower of the NF blog and occasional forum lurker).

Returning here to start my Epic Quest and participate in (and will complete!) the next 6 week challenge and find my way back on the path towards achieving my fitness (and personal) goals.

I turn 34 later this month, and after a visit with my doctor for my first physical in....well, let's just say it's been a LONG time...I realize I desparately need to start paying attention to my health, fitness, and well being. I've worked out on and off since college, with no real long term direction or goals. And I get burned out, bored, or just plain lazy and end up with my beer gut, moobs, prehypertensive blood pressure,  chronic bouts of insomnia, and danger zone LDL levels. But that's all changing, starting now.

So what's my Epic Main Quest? I want to be in the best shape of my life by my 35th birthday (6/25/15). I have some ideas already on how I'm going to define success or failure, and some ideas for SMART goals to help get me there and guide me on the way, but that's the big picture for the next 12 months, chipped away at 6 weeks at a time.

Happy to be back here amongst the Rebels, and looking forward to seeing this through with you all!

Cheers!

• Like 1

1st Challenge | Current Challenge

"Eat a ton of protein. Squat heavy. Push heavy objects. Have sex. Love life." -Jim Wendler

Warrior Challenge Vanity Goal: 4k pushups in 6 weeks

31.3%
31.3%

1250/4,000

Welcome back! 

Like you, I've been on and off fitness for a while but this challenge will keep us on check for the next 6 weeks. Writing down my goals has always been somehow helpful so hopefully that will be the case for you as well. 

All the best and I look forward to hearing from you during the challenge!

Level  2 Gnome -who wants to be a Mermaid- Ranger

STR 5 | DEX | STA 4 | CON 3 | WIS 1 | CHA 1

Challenges:  1 |  Current Challenge: Arya Sapphire and the Majora's Mask

''Be brave enough to live life creatively. The creative is the place where no one else has ever been. You have to leave the city of your comfort and go into the wilderness of your intuition.'' - Alan Alda

Just remember, your success will depend on your daily dedication.  You will not always feel motivated to work out or keep to the plan; no one feels 100% motivated 100% of the time.  If you can have the discipline to power through the days you'd rather stay in bed, you will succeed.  Make no mistake, getting fit is a grind that you won't always be excited for, but that's why it's going to feel so rewarding when you look at your progress on your 35th!

Thanks for the words of welcome guys!

JPrev, the dedication piece will definitely be hardest for me. My self discipline in starting and maintaining habits is definitely an area I need to improve. Excited to try a few new techniques I haven't used before to stay on track this time (e.g., accountability: announce my goals to the NF community and follow through).

I read an article the other day that talked about how motivation and inspiration are often the result of action, not the precursor of action. So I'm hoping if I can put my body and mind through the motions, I'll be able to fake it til I make it

1st Challenge | Current Challenge

"Eat a ton of protein. Squat heavy. Push heavy objects. Have sex. Love life." -Jim Wendler

Warrior Challenge Vanity Goal: 4k pushups in 6 weeks

31.3%
31.3%

1250/4,000

That's exactly how it was for me. I really didn't like working out at all for the first couple months. But then the progress started to really show, and eventually I became more and more proud of what I could do. Momentum became motivation. It's over a year now, and thanks to having routines I enjoy and a level of fitness I'm proud of, working out is something I enjoy. More often than not, anyway!