Forums are back in action! ×

All About Sprinting? - Help!

Okay, so now that I've completed my 5k and 10k goals, I want to dial it back and include sprinting in my fitness regimens... But I have a few questions.

What distances do you usually run?

How do you measure your distances? (especially for those with no access to a track)

What's a good place to start?

What about sprinting and VFF shoes?

Any suggestions for me?

There's a few ways to measure distance that don't cost any money. (Buying a Garmin is the best way that does cost $ :) )

1) Plan in advance with a tool like Map My Run.

2) Use your gps-enabled cell phone with software like Buddy Runner.

You gotta experiment to find out what works for you.
PM me with any questions about, well, anything! :)
Current challenge: Catspaw Starts Strong

I started sprinting a couple weeks ago. This week I changed from doing a set distance of sprint (from one point at the park to another) that took me an average of fifteen seconds to do to doing sprints for 20 seconds, resting for 10 seconds, repeat until you are about to die, recover and do some more. So far it has kicked my ass. I do just about everything (except my part time job) in my VFF KSOs, so I do the sprints in them no problem. I like the timed thing better than the set distance personally because I don't have access to a track and its easy (well not the sprinting part) to just sprint with a stop watch that counts down.

Allons-y!

DWH

If you can't fix it with squats or fish oil you're probably going to die.

blog || twitter

I use a set distance in my neighborhood. When I started doing intervals a year ago I sprinted for 3 tenths of a mile and walked 2 tenths. Tremendous improvement in one year in my running times. Last month I upped my sprinting distance to 6 tenths of a mile with a couple of hills in it, and I walk about 2 tenths of a mile.

Veronica

Discipline is remembering what you want.

http://www.tandemhearts.com/wordpress/