Forums are back in action! ×

Resume/Job Advice Thread?

Hi All! 

So as I'm going through all the new challenges and introductions I can't help but notice how many people want to change careers or get a new job or just GET a job. So that got me thinking.... Do we already have a tips thread in the general/misc. area that people can go to to discuss interviews or ask the wonderful NF community their advice/opinions on how to get a job, how to build a resume, how to prep for an interview and things of the like? 

Just thought it might be something that a number of people could utilize not only in their challenges but for life in general- if a thread such as this already exists or it's a silly idea I'll go back to my diet and workout research :D 

Spaz Ranger

BATTLE LOG

You can have results or excuses. Not both

I think this is a great idea. I have a degree in Industrial and Organisational Psych, and I'd be willing to chip in if people need advice with their resumes.

I'm also trying to figure out a career for myself. I'm just not sure what kind of jobs to apply for, since it seems to me that most jobs available are commercial. And in my mind commercial means "you have to be heartless to work here". No idea what I should do instead though. I apply to all sort of random jobs now, and I always get to like the second interview and then they tell me they hired someone with more experience, someone older, or "less enthusiastic". Any other recent grads feel like they have no idea what they need to look for in potential jobs and companies? Also, I don't really know what I am gonna be good at and what I'll suck at. 

How's your career going, Slates?

"Everything you want is out there waiting for you to ask. Everything you want also wants you. But you have to take action to get it." - Jules Renau

I'm in HR after finishing an undergrad in Psych and almost completing a MS in HRM (after this semester I have one class left, wooo!) and I'm pretty happy with my job. I work in Benefits/Wellness for my current company and I can see myself making a career out of Wellness with more experience in the sector. 

I think it's best to try a few things out. My first job out of school was at a dental office and I realized pretty quickly administrative things came easily to me. After that I was picked up by an international defense company as a personal admin to their head of legal. From there I landed this job which is a sister company. I got lucky and had an opportunity to see a number of roles in that admin role though, from IT, Finance, Legal, HR and Operations. It's not so much that you have to be heartless in the corporate world, you just have to find a company that mirrors your own values. I'd suggest start looking for companies that resonate with you. Find their corporate values and mission statement and see if it's in line with what you want to do/direction you see your future going!

In the meantime check out volunteermatch.org, they have a number of opportunities to help bulk your resume as well as give you experience in a few different areas to see if there's anything you really like!

Spaz Ranger

BATTLE LOG

You can have results or excuses. Not both