Forums are back in action! ×

9/11

I didn't know where I should post this, or who I could talk to.

I didn't lose anyone, but every year, without fail, I'm filled with this incredible sadness. I can't completely explain it. Does anyone else feel this way? How do you deal with it?

"Throughout the centuries there were men who took first steps down new roads armed with nothing but their own vision." - Ayn Rand

welcome to real life | bitch be cool

Can't say I'm filled with sadness, but certainly shock. No matter how many times I see it, that image of the plane hitting the tower is unbelievable. I'm Canadian, never been to New York (and barely the states at all), but it's still unbelievable. I'm definitely going to partake in a moment of silence tomorrow (err, today... haven't gone to bed yet and I'm up late). I don't think it'll be at the official time of when the first plane hit (8:20 ish, EST, if I'm not mistaken). But, I'll remember it nonetheless. I tend to be a person who balks hype about anything, but this is something that's hard to ignore.

Since we're on the subject, I remember my friend calling me up to tell me that America is "crumbling." He advised I turn on the news, and sure enough... It was my first year of University. I had my first Philosophy class that afternoon. I remember the prof handing out the syllabus and saying that in light of what's happening in America he's not holding a full class. A girl sitting next to me had no idea what was going on so I had to explain it to her. This was at 1:30 AST in the afternoon. That was fun to explain. After that I went to my friend's (the same one who called me) dorm, and there were about 20 of us crowded in a room that's essentially smaller than my closet, all watching the news.

I didn't lose anyone but I remember the absolute fear. I was a kid. I didn't know what was going on or what was going to happen next. Everyone around me had the same fear. There was no where to go for reassurance.

I remember watching people die before my eyes. I remember people screaming and crying.

We don't have to lose someone we know to feel immense sadness. Empathy is the blessing and the curse of humanity. We all feel the pain of a life lost. Especially the lives of the innocence. People who were leaving for a vacation, people who were going to or at work, people who may not have ever harmed anything in all their lives. They were people with family and friends. Even if we didn't know them, we know the pain their loved ones face.

Your pain is completely natural. It is even a beautiful light in the darkness of what may seem to be a warring and hateful world. It's a reminder that their is something wonderful that lives inside of us.

Human Ranger (Lvl 2)
Be the author of your own adventure.
Fitocracy -- Challenge 1: AR's Return

I feel sadness for the people that lost someone...

I remember exactly where I was. Art class. I was attempting to draw a pink teddy bear. We were listening to the local top 40 station when the song cut. I remember trying to hear exactly what the guy was saying but he kept stuttering and stuff. Then we had to switch classes and I remember sitting in my Spanish class and everyone is whispering "What is going on?" and no one knew for sure at this point. Then one of the teachers rushed in and said "Ohmigosh. A plane crashed into the Twin Towers" Our Spanish teacher turned on the tv and the first tower was smoking. My friend Jenna was sitting in front of me freaking out cause her dad had an interview in the Towers that morning. And as we watched the second plane hit, and then the towers fell. I still get goosebumps remember the shock that everyone was in. I still can hear Jenna's scream as the towers fell. It is truly something that no one can forget.

I also feel gratefulness for all the firefighters and all the other people that risked their lives to help the people affected.

Make today your someday~~~"It's a lifestyle - train like there's no finish line~~~"I hated every minute of training, but I said, don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life a champion." - Muhammad Ali, Boxer~~~"There is nothing we cannot live down, rise above, and overcome." - Ella Wheeler Wilcox

10 years ago today I finally learned to spin without looking at my hands. My yarn was twisted and mottled, like my feelings.

I had to keep busy as I was glued to the TV set watching. After I chewed my fingernails off I decided to start spinning and kept at it for hours and hours.

We drove our Hummer down to the next town to pick up meat from sheep we had butchered. It was surreal as people thought we were military even though it’s a civilian hummer.

Today I will spin a little and knit a little and reflect on the last 10 years.

The world changed on that day, and it is changing still.

Tomorrow I will fly back east for a week’s sheep inspection trip. I suspect the security screening will be even more difficult than normal….

Oogie McGuire

Black Sheep Shepherdess

STR 4.25 | DEX 4.5 | STA 3.75 | CON 3 | WIS 4.75 | CHA 1

Thanks for starting this thread, Natalie.

I was the investor relations manager for a high tech company, and so talked daily to people in NYC, to people in those buildings, to people on Floor 87 of 1. Half of my rolodex was wiped out that day along with all of Fred Alger. So many people lost...in a moment. I cried for a week, and would have to pull over on the way to work to sob before getting it back together to finish my commute. The son of a friend of mine was coming down the stairs from 55 when the exhausted firefighters were coming up, asking for strong people to help with their gear. My friend's son was scared and decided to keep heading down, but others around him grabbed firefighting gear and turned around to head back up the stairs to help. A few minutes later the building came down. My son's friend had gotten out...

That day changed my life in a deep and profound way. Never again would I wait for 'some day'. Never again would I put it off. Never again would I delay hooking up with friends because I was too busy and never - ever - would I put work before the rest of my life. I quit my job and took a 40% pay cut to work closer to home. I learned to play the bass, took some acting classes, learned to ride. We enjoy the small things...feet on the coffee table while watching TV with a cat on your lap. Bacon with breakfast. A beautiful morning.

And we never forget.

"Enthusiasm is the great hill-climber." - Elbert Hubbard
Human Adventurer

I want to be fit and healthy so I can explore and enjoy all the beauty the outdoor world has to offer, in all kinds of weather, all the days of my life.

2024 Battle Log2023 Battle Log2022 Battle Log2021 Battle Log2020 Battle Log2019 Battle Log2018 Battle Log2017 Battle Log2016 Battle Log