Forums are back in action! ×

Hey there!

I stumbled upon this site and felt very at home here an am excited to be part of the community. 

Last week I signed up for my first 5K ever (33 years old and I'm a first timer).  I felt that if I signed up for a 5K that I would be commited to something to keep me on the path of getting fit.  The last few years I put on a good amount of weight due to either being ill or depressed (60 pounds to be more exact---and boy does a desk job NOT help!).  Now I have the fire lit in me to start being healthy mind and body. 

I feel like this place will be a great start for some support and to learn from everyone else.

If anyone has any tips please send me them this way.  I just started back at the gym and eating Paleo.  My main goal is to conditioin myself for this 5K.  But I alson want to lose the weight and strenghten all over, in hopes to one day be strong enough to get into Crossfit.

_Jenny :very_drunk:

Hi Jenny, welcome to NF, if you like running then ask for help and information in the Scouts forum (we love running).

Look around the forums loads of excellent information.

Paleo is good, I lost over 45 Lbs on Paleo.

Good luck.

It's never to late to be the person you always wanted to be.

The voice in your head telling you that you can't do it is a damn liar.

Endorphins, the best high you can have.

Welcome to the Rebellion Jenny!

• Like 1

•      Awful                                                          Not so good                                                                          Getting better                                                        Super Stud                                       He-Man                                  Artie Strongest                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              man.... In The World
  • 61%
    61%
  • Valerius the level 2 Human

STR 3|DEX 3|CON 2|STA 3|WIS 2|CHA 2

Current challenge

•  
  • " If you think you can do a thing or you can't do a thing, you're right."
  • - Henry Ford

Welcome to Nerd Fitness! I can really relate to your goals - I'm working to be able to run 5K and to lose the remaining 40 pounds out of 60 that I need to lose. You'll find lots of other nerds working many of the same things, so you'll have lots of company and support on your fitness journey!

• Like 1

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

Welcome to Nerd Fitness! I can really relate to your goals - I'm working to be able to run 5K and to lose the remaining 40 pounds out of 60 that I need to lose. You'll find lots of other nerds working many of the same things, so you'll have lots of company and support on your fitness journey!

Hi there and thank you!  Good luck on your goals and the 5K.  Is this your first 5K as well?

• Like 1

Hi there and thank you!  Good luck on your goals and the 5K.  Is this your first 5K as well?

My first to run. I used to do that distance regularly with a medium weight pack for training and certifying as a wildland firefighter, but I've never run it. I've been out of shape for a number of years on the hiking/packing and am looking to be able to both run 5K and hike/pack it for certain times by next March!

How far out is the 5K you are training for?

• Like 1

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

My first to run. I used to do that distance regularly with a medium weight pack for training and certifying as a wildland firefighter, but I've never run it. I've been out of shape for a number of years on the hiking/packing and am looking to be able to both run 5K and hike/pack it for certain times by next March!

How far out is the 5K you are training for?

My 5K is in Sept.  So I have a little ways so go and get condidtioned.  I'm so out of shape I need that cushion of time before I actually do one.