Forums are back in action! ×

Not here anyway

Greetings!

First of I think congratulations are in order for Mr. Steve. This web site is a breath (?) Of fresh air for us.

About me: I'm a Venezuelan living in the Dominican Republic. I have never been into sports as a kid, I'd rather spend the whole afternoon playing duke nukem and star fox. I have been on and off to gyms and trying different sports such as mountain biking, mountaineering, swimming, jogging, tennis, squash, sailing, bodybuilding with no consistency at all.

These days I have been taking steps to make exercising and eating healthy a priority. I am also teaching my girlfriend about it, I even showed her about Staci.

This here is my second step in the rebellion so I will be picking my character and doin everythig else in the book.

So that was my first introduction to the forums.

At this moment I am struggling to find motivation (or inspiration?) to get my shit together, get rid of all distractions and excuses and just start one step every day.

I can't stand people that complain about how fat they are, how they should be doing a lot of things to get stronger, healthier or fitter. Today I feel like that.

One of the things that I think is very very important for me is to learn how to break everything into small steps. As I have said before, I have tried just about everything but never stuck with it, and that is my weakness. I have no will or perseverance to keep on my track. This week I've come to say to myself that it's just what my body is asking for, just arrive at home and play a video game or watch a series.

I would really like to hear from someone who has overcome this scenario. What made you change your perception about getting up and doing it?

I'll be leaving the office pretty soon and hopefully making it to the gym later tonight. Will let you know tomorrow in the right forum about it.

Regards,

Daniel

Welcome to the Rebellion!!!! 

There's a lot to take in - but take it slowly and you'll pick it up as you go.  Part of the challenge IS that there are many places to post. Don't worry - someone WILL find you and direct you to the right spot.

First off, NOTHING is required.  Na da.  You can hang out, read, swap tips and questions and learn from the mentors and fellow nerds.  

If you want more accountability, I do recommend the 6-week challenges.  During these challenges, you pick a few goals to work on that will help you improve your life.  6 weeks is usually enough time to let you decide if the new activities are helpful and work for you .... or not. And that's long enough to establish new habits that you can turn into a healthier lifestyle.

The next challenge started June 9th, but you can jump in anyway.  You'd start as a Level 1 Rebel (http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/forum/362-level-1-rebels/) .... which is where you LEARN about all of the stats, guilds, rpg character, and so on as well as working at setting SMART goals.  You still get to adopt what works for you, and you can ignore the rest.  Some very successful NF people never bother with classes or stat points or race or so on.  They just hang out in the guild that suits their goals best.

Even MOAR accountability?  We have accountability groups of 7 or so people who check up on each other frequently during a challenge.  Plus lots of other, optional fun.

Breaking behavior change into small steps is a great way to succeed over the long haul.  If you get home and just can't get yourself to workout once there , think about NOT GOING HOME UNTIL you've worked out.  I used to carry my gym clothes in the back of the Jeep and went to workout before going home.  Or leaving the bag where you will trip over it when you get home ... change into workout clothes (and not your casual at home clothes) so that you're one step closer to working out.  You can do it - one step at a time. 

Level 63 Human ... Oath of Ancients Paladin

"We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less."  - Kurt Hahn

STR: 14 | DEX: 14| CON: 17 | INT: 17 | WIS: 17 | CHA: 14

The SIde Tracked Quest (rough draft)

So that was my first introduction to the forums.

At this moment I am struggling to find motivation (or inspiration?) to get my shit together, get rid of all distractions and excuses and just start one step every day.

I can't stand people that complain about how fat they are, how they should be doing a lot of things to get stronger, healthier or fitter. Today I feel like that.

One of the things that I think is very very important for me is to learn how to break everything into small steps. As I have said before, I have tried just about everything but never stuck with it, and that is my weakness. I have no will or perseverance to keep on my track. This week I've come to say to myself that it's just what my body is asking for, just arrive at home and play a video game or watch a series.

I would really like to hear from someone who has overcome this scenario. What made you change your perception about getting up and doing it?

I'll be leaving the office pretty soon and hopefully making it to the gym later tonight. Will let you know tomorrow in the right forum about it.

Regards,

Daniel

Welcome :D 

I had that issue- the getting all excited about being healthy at the start or starting a program....and then falling off the wagon after the first few weeks. 

I got tired of the yo yoing weight, how I felt about myself and my overall 'blah' feeling I had. Instead of doing a quick month long diet to shed some quick pounds I decided it was time for a REAL change and it would be something I would have to incorporate into my life to keep my mind and body healthy- it's no longer just shedding some weight, but changing my life so I can feel my best all the time rather than just every few months or years. 

Since getting off my butt and being active, it's been almost 2 months now, and I've been slowly cleaning up my diet for about 4 months (usually I would have fallen off the bandwagon by now!!) and I feel fantastic. I started with small things in my diet- I'd cut down on going out, if I did go out I tried to eat less calorific options, I started replacing breads and pasta with whole grain options. Then slowly I'd up the protein and veggies and slowly cut down the grains (I don't do whole paleo, I still eat whole oats, oatmeal, granola and sweet potatoes), I replaced regular milk with almond milk (flavored the first week, then plain the next week, then unsweetened) and cut down on cheese slowly, at first reducing the amount and then replacing mozz and cheddar cheese with feta and cotija, and eventually phasing these out as well. 

Exercise wise I started attending classes at my gym and soon enough a handful of people recognized me and knew my name- to the point that they missed me when I didn't go to class! Knowing that people would KNOW I wasn't keeping my workout regimen helped me stick to it at times. After 4 or so weeks of keeping up spinning, I decided to get a trainer to teach me how to navigate the free weights area. Now my goal isn't just to look good, but to get stronger, which is extra motivation on top of what I already had. 

Baby steps is the way to go, slowly these don't become a diet but a regular day in your life- just how you do things. Diving head first into something will burn you out and you'll start thinking of 'before'- don't let yourself think of a 'before', but phase things out and into your life so it's seamless. Because of my diet and exercise my cravings for chocolate and sweets and fries have pretty much stopped- I may eat a few fried things here and there if I go for dinner with friends and appetizers are ordered, but I don't gorge on them anymore because they don't appeal to me as much. 

I'm subbing to this as well as your challenge if you have on/I can find it!

Good Luck!

Spaz Ranger

BATTLE LOG

You can have results or excuses. Not both