Forums are back in action! ×

Loooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwww reps

Ok so I want to gain lots of strength (i don't really care about size at all only getting stronger) and I've heard about low rep work on various topics and it is usually tied to strength gain. I was wondering if i should have a workout with only the hardest variations and the lowest reps. I would only do this for every body part except for pull muscles because I am on a more regular pull-ups program. The hardest moves i can do is a 1 arm plyo pushup (only on right arm), pistols, and toes to bar. If anyone could just point me in the right direction or give me a sample routine it would be greatly appreciated.

Training for strength exists on a continuum; that is, it's not only low reps + high weight that will build your strength.  This is important to note, because if you're not careful with how you structure the program you'll go too hard on your connective tissues and joints and burn yourself out in a bad way (I'm looking at you, 1-arm plyo push ups - though that has more to do with power training than strength training).  Medium reps + medium weight will still increase your strength, so don't shy away from incorporating that kind of work as well.

If you're looking for bodyweight routines, checkout this website from Waldo: http://strengthunbound.com/

What are your lifts currently looking like? While 5/3/1 seems like the most popular of the intermediate programs here, which is moderate volume with periodization across a three week training block, there are other options. Texas Method is fairly high volume, and Madcow is essentially Stronglifts 5x5 with weekly increases instead of daily. I train with the concurrent system (aka Westside) and on max effort days I work up to three heavy singles. My lower body lifts have always responded well to that. I also accrue the most size on my legs from that style of training, which makes little sense. Speed and rep work are also very important pieces of the system. Just going in, working up to a heavy single and walking out without doing supplemental work to build your lifts and assistance work to bring up both prime movers and balancing muscles is always a bad idea.

That said, if you aren't near the ends of easy gains on your usual bread-and-butter linear progression programs (5x5, Starting Strength, etc...) then you would be much better served by sticking to them. There comes a point where the ability to keep adding a nickel every time you lift is a lifter's wet dream.

If you are past the newbie gains and are interested in the Westside methods, especially for raw lifters, shoot me a PM and I'll give you some sources to read up on.

My training log

Spoiler

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (USS), April 16th Contest report

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (NAS), April 18th Contest report

Eighth Annual Vis Vires Outdoor Strongman Competition (Unsanctioned), August 1st Contest report

"What's the difference between an injury that you train around and an injury that you train through?"

"A trip to the hospital"