Forums are back in action! ×

Hello Rebels! How are you all?

I am 31, I am overweight and, more to the point, unfit. I didn't used to be, in fact once upon a time I was unhealthy skinny, but 7yrs ago I broke a bone in my left foot and displaced the same ankle joint. Cue surgery to install a metal plate, cast, crutches, physio, surgery to take out the platre, and more physio. I went from the ability to walk everywhere - when I could happily clock up 6miles a day without trying - to...well let's just say I got out of the habit, and it was difficult to get back into.

Then, 6yrs ago, I had a motorbike accident which smashed my left knee and the top section of the tibia to pieces. Cue more surgery to instlal scaffolding, leg brace, crutches, more surgery, still crutches, yet more surgery...you get the picture. It wasn't until 2yrs ago that I got off crutches.

Add to this ongoing mental health issues which tends to bury motivation, and meds which mess up my blood sugar levels...

I've had some problems. That's my history. But at the end of the day what really happned was this: I allowed my laziness to assert itself, take control, and then left it that way for too long.

I'm amidst a problematic period with my mental health again, but this time I managed to dig in and find enough reasons to act instead of just sit.

I want to be healthy again, I miss it.

My weight is giving mme back problems, and my injured knee and ankle are problematic, in part for the same reason.

I am a non-binary trans person, and right now my body shape doesn't allow me to pass as easily as it could if I lost some of the fat and built in some muscle.

I'm sick and tired of letting me defeat myself.

I know the exercise can help mentally as well as physically, and clearly I need some help.

I started some basic bodyweight workouts, really just to burn off some hyper energy, and found that I actually enjoyed doing them. Then I enjoyed feeling the effects of them.

I've been tracking myself on Fitocracy - the levels and achievements make my [not-so-inner] geek happy, and I like the community thing and the accountability it can offer.

So anyway, I bumped into NF a few days ago, while looking for tips on posture for pushups and just sorta kept reading. I sadly lack the funds to actually join the Academy right now, but that isn't stopping me.

My goals are:

To reduce my body fat, down to the fitness level.

To build muscle, especially in my arms and shoulders.

To rebuild the stamina I used to have in my legs.

To lose enough weight/fat to feel good about my body again.

Week 1 goal was simply to track a simple workout for a single week. I managed that.

Week 2 goal is to build on that: I've improved form, increased reps where I'm ready to, and changed regular walking routes so I'm actively seeking out light hills to walk up.

I have to avoid exercises that impact my knee and ankle joints, but that leaves me with plenty of options, and I love the bodyweight idea - I just started doing it without really thinking, because it came naturally.

Sorry for the, uh, really long post. The actual hard bit that comes next is me staying engaged with people. It's something I really struggle with day-to-day, but I know it helps me to have accountability.

*takes deep breath* OK I'm done :)

• Like 1

Viscura
[Cybernetic Warrior
]

Current Challenge

LEVEL: 18
STR: 23 | STA: 25 | CON: 22 | INT: 10 | WIL: 19 | DEX: 1

Stuff I do:
Write stories and talk about being trans
Various filmy/webseriesy things

Welcome to the Rebellion!!!!  

There's a lot to take in - but take it slowly and you'll pick it up as you go.

First off, NOTHING is required.  Na da.  You can hang out, read, swap tips and questions and learn from the mentors and fellow nerds.  

If you want more accountability, I do recommend the 6-week challenges.  During these challenges, you pick a few goals to work on that will help you improve your life.  6 weeks is usually enough time to let you decide if the new activities are helpful and work for you .... or not. And that's long enough to establish new habits that you can turn into a healthier lifestyle.

The next challenge started June 9th, but you can still jump in.  You'd start as a Level 1 Rebel (http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/forum/362-level-1-rebels/) .... which is where you LEARN about all of the stats, guilds, rpg character, and so on as well as working at setting SMART goals.  You still get to adopt what works for you, and you can ignore the rest.  Some very successful NF people never bother with classes or stat points or race or so on.  They just hang out in the guild that suits their goals best.

Even MOAR accountability?  We have accountability groups of 7 or so people who check up on each other frequently during a challenge.  Plus lots of other, optional fun.

Let us know how we can help you achieve your goals.  Post here ... or you can message me with the envelope icon at the upper right of the screen.

I think getting BACK in shape is a very difficult challenge.  I let my fitness slide after breaking my ankle, but I'm back at it!!

Good luck on your journey!!

Level 63 Human ... Oath of Ancients Paladin

"We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less."  - Kurt Hahn

STR: 14 | DEX: 14| CON: 17 | INT: 17 | WIS: 17 | CHA: 14

The SIde Tracked Quest (rough draft)