Forums are back in action! ×

Spartan Sprint First Timer...Any Advice?

In 2 weeks, there's not much you can do in the way of conditioning. Just do what you're doing now, but you could add in a little running and push out a few burpees now and then so your body won't be surprised during the race. It looks like this Sprint is fairly flat, so that's a great advantage in your favour. (as opposed to being on a ski hill)

In the time you do have, I think you're better off to learn a few skills to make it easier and avoid burpees. If you've never done it, see if you can learn to climb a rope or an 8' wall. You can crawl on the ground, throw a spear/broom handle, practice balancing, play on the monkey bars, walk around carrying a log or a rock. Just a few sessions of practice can make a lot of difference for these skills.

The biggest advice is remember to have fun. Obstacle course races are the chance to go out and be like a little kid again. You're going to get to run and jump and crawl and get muddy and act like a big kid. You might as well take advantage of that. :)

Good luck!

Quirky DM

My Battle Log: QuirkyDM going Quazy

"Success is simply a matter of luck. Ask any failure."

Geez, I almost forgot to talk about clothes. No cotton! You will get wet and muddy and those will weigh a tonne. Your shoes will get wet and muddy and unless they are built to not hold water, you may never wear those shoes again. Bring extra clothes or at least a towel to sit on for the ride home, extra shoes and socks, too.

Maledictus is one of the most prolific obstacle course runners in NF. He just wrote this article, which may give you some other good ideas:

http://trainingshed.com/market-harborough/uncategorized/burkos-brilliant-tips-for-brutal-beastings-tough-mudders-and-the-like/

Quirky DM

In 2 weeks, there's not much you can do in the way of conditioning. Just do what you're doing now, but you could add in a little running and push out a few burpees now and then so your body won't be surprised during the race. It looks like this Sprint is fairly flat, so that's a great advantage in your favour. (as opposed to being on a ski hill)

In the time you do have, I think you're better off to learn a few skills to make it easier and avoid burpees. If you've never done it, see if you can learn to climb a rope or an 8' wall. You can crawl on the ground, throw a spear/broom handle, practice balancing, play on the monkey bars, walk around carrying a log or a rock. Just a few sessions of practice can make a lot of difference for these skills.

The biggest advice is remember to have fun. Obstacle course races are the chance to go out and be like a little kid again. You're going to get to run and jump and crawl and get muddy and act like a big kid. You might as well take advantage of that. :)

Good luck!

Geez, I almost forgot to talk about clothes. No cotton! You will get wet and muddy and those will weigh a tonne. Your shoes will get wet and muddy and unless they are built to not hold water, you may never wear those shoes again. Bring extra clothes or at least a towel to sit on for the ride home, extra shoes and socks, too.

Maledictus is one of the most prolific obstacle course runners in NF. He just wrote this article, which may give you some other good ideas:

http://trainingshed.com/market-harborough/uncategorized/burkos-brilliant-tips-for-brutal-beastings-tough-mudders-and-the-like/

Thank you for all the advice, I didn't even think of all the little stuff like towels, spare clothes, and which clothes I would wear. I have been working on my rope climbing skills, hopefully I will improve in 2 weeks. Thanks for the tips on things to practice as well. I will have to remember to thank you again when all of that advice pays of at Mohegan. 

How'd the race go?

It was much tougher than expected, but mostly with the running. The obstacles were a lot of fun and challenging. There were only 2 obstacles I could not complete, the rope and the spear throw. I finished in 2 hrs and 28 min, which isn't very good but I am happy with it for my first Spartan. I loved it. The fire pit and I had a minor disagreement, which involved me getting burned. I am healing well though and I can't wait for the next Spartan. All the advice was extremely helpful, I was more prepared for the race thanks to you. It was a rewarding experience, and exposed a lot of weaknesses I know now I need to work on and improve. I am slowly getting over my fear of heights thanks to Spartan which is big for me. 

I think the Spartans are always much tougher than expected the first time anyone does one. :) It's part of the fun. Plus, like you said, it shows you the areas you can improve. I just did a Sprint a few weeks ago and I'm still learning. The spear throw got me, too. :)

Glad to hear it went well. (besides the fire pit- ouch!) Now you're a veteran and can go out and attack that next course! :)

Quirky DM

I think the Spartans are always much tougher than expected the first time anyone does one. :) It's part of the fun. Plus, like you said, it shows you the areas you can improve. I just did a Sprint a few weeks ago and I'm still learning. The spear throw got me, too. :)

Glad to hear it went well. (besides the fire pit- ouch!) Now you're a veteran and can go out and attack that next course! :)

Can't wait!!!!