Forums are back in action! ×

Resetting your Sleep Plan - Summer Solstice

I have always had an irregular sleep pattern, though its getting better now my job requires me to be up at 8am each morning. But this isn't enough for me, I still often feel rushed and as I am not a fan of coffee I'm still usually groggy.

The combination of my first challenge getting me outdoors much and my parents both off to celebrate the summer solstice (They observe the Pagan holidays) I have a sudden urge to observe the occasion, while I don't identify as Pagan myself I'm very respectful of the cubculture and I am drawn to their celebrations more so than the more commonly observed western holidays. But that's by the by. Many people, myself included have new years resolutions but lets face it, our calendar is pretty arbitrary compared to days such as the solstice which are quantifiable moments in the cycle of the year and it is THAT that I find powerful. And so I have decided to get an early night and wake early to watch dawn (about 4:30am). Its this saturday but I will be working, that said I should finish before the early start to have an effect on me.

I liked this idea but earlier it occured that this would be the perfect way to do a reset on my sleep cycle, forcing me to move it forward and hopefully allowing me to wake early the next day (working again unfortunately - I list weekends as another lie our parents teach us along with santa and the tooth fairy) and hopefully beyond.

So what do people think? It seems more proactive than a simple resolution to me but I am eager to hear the view of fellow Life hackers!

Also what should I do with my morning? I was considering going and having breakfast in the park but there is also an outdoor gym near me, maybe I should do a morning work out and treat myself to a cooked breakfast in town before work?

I find that anytime I have a reason to get up in the morning, like an appointment or something else that I'm excited to do, it makes it much easier to wake up. For example I woke up before my alarm today and yesterday because I had important meetings and I was a little paranoid about missing them.

Also make sure that you are getting plenty of sleep. If you can constantly hit that sweet spot you will wake up at the same time all the time. When I was student teaching I woke up at 6am even on weekends because that's what my body was used to.

Hope this helps!