Forums are back in action! ×

In January I began working seriously towards my goal of doing a pull up (my first ever) by my 30th birthday.  In fact, this article is how I first discovered Nerd Fitness:

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/04/25/do-a-pull-up/

For my challenge, I started doing assisted pull ups, negatives, flexed arm hangs, and dead hangs.  I made significant improvements with each, but could still barely budge from a dead hang when I'd try a 'real' pull up.  On my 30th birthday, about 6 months into training, I grabbed the bar, PULLED... and maybe made it a third of the way up.

Fast forward two weeks, I finally bought a doorway pull up bar (I'd been using equipment at the gym, or grip-unfriendly joists on my patio). I installed it, and though I was a bit under the weather that day, decided I'd at least try it out.  Unexpectedly, and much to my amazement, I did a (neutral grip) pull up on my very first try!

That was on Sunday, and I've done several more since. I almost still can't believe it.

• Like 3

WOO HOO!!!! GO Pull ups!!!

•      Awful                                                          Not so good                                                                          Getting better                                                        Super Stud                                       He-Man                                  Artie Strongest                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              man.... In The World
  • 61%
    61%
  • Valerius the level 2 Human

STR 3|DEX 3|CON 2|STA 3|WIS 2|CHA 2

Current challenge

•  
  • " If you think you can do a thing or you can't do a thing, you're right."
  • - Henry Ford

Wow, congratulations! That is very cool. Your progress from January gives me hope for my own pull up goal. Good work!

2016 goals: Hit goal weight. Build muscle.

2015 goals: Get stronger, stop loathing squats and get better at them - DONE!!!

2014 goal: Lose 52.5 lbs. - DONE!!! 12/13/14

MFP

Congrats! I'm also working my way toward doing a pull up, but I have a very long way to go. Glad to hear you were able to stick to your goal and accomplish it!

Level 2 Wolfman Assassin

STR: 3|DEX: 4|STA: 3|CON: 3|WIS: 1|CHA: 2

Inventory: Assassin Race Ticket x1

Never take the easy route; hard mode is its own reward!

Next Challenge: The Trainee Assassin

Completed Challenges: A New Beginning