Forums are back in action! ×

muscle failure

hey all,

I went with a friend to the gym today to do barbell stuff with me so I could have someone to spot, and he had never lifted weights, but he has done a good bit of bodyweight stuff. On bench press with 5x5s at 105 lbs he got through the first two sets no problem. Then on the last three sets at the last or second to last rep he would drop the weight. He said it was like his muscles just stopped working and would not allow him to lift more. He wasn't overly exerting himself; he would crank out three or four without any issue or real strain, then would just give out.

Is that bad? Or is it a sign that he is exerting muscles like he never has before and will start to gain strength?

I didn't know what to tell him, so I wanted to pose the question to some of you rebels that may know more about this than me.

Allons-y!

DWH

If you can't fix it with squats or fish oil you're probably going to die.

blog || twitter

The big ones for cause for concern would be

- He is incredibly distressed (to the point of causing other physical symptoms, such as hyperventilation or shock)

- He loses circulation, sensation or function (while not attempting lifting)

- especially if, in addition to the above, The limb in question presents significant bruising (larger than the palm of his own hand) which may be (read: is often) accompanied by swelling.