Forums are back in action! ×

Why I Need A Proper Subroutine...

Guest GuitarKat

Guest GuitarKat

I'm new here (duh, right?). I'm a programmer, mostly in the web application development and design area, but also a print designer and graphic designer (where I started). I work for myself... and that's why I'm here....

I'm already in pretty decent shape. I used to be underweight for a fair bit of my life as I was simply told by my doctor that my metabolism ran a little faster, this eventually became a problem for me when I was in competitive swimming and had to give it up because I just couldn't keep up my calorie intake versus what I was burning, it turned out he was wrong, however. Running fast in the system already and then doing some intense dryland for half an hour (running around in a circle, well, a bigger circle, and wall sits) then hitting the pool for a couple of hours a day doing drills in the swim lanes... every week day after school. Except weekends, those were for meets with other swim clubs.

That was not the only sport that I did but I considered it my most intense one... which is actually good for your body as it is low impact.

I was really doing just too much. I eventually did cut out the swimming as it was taking up a lot of time as well. Did I gain weight after that? No. The doctor's concerns were wrong... I was obviously taking in enough calories to keep going, but I stopped as well because of time restrictions. I'm finally getting to my "Freshmen 15" (actually only "Freshman 10") 6 years after I started college. I took full time for 5 years and did part time for 1... and will be going back soon, but for once I wanted a Fall where I didn't have to head back to school in any shape, way or form! The weight gain is actually very good for me as I was underweight for the longest time (my whole life up to this point) and as I'm still fairly active, I'll take it as a good thing (for now).

I would like to get back to a (sub)routine because I'm a freelancer in my field... which also means I don't have much of a routine there, but I feel like I should have a routine somewhere. I know that sounds kind of weird, but... you don't know what not having a routine is like till you take it away from yourself.

A routine is discipline for your mind and your body. Some people think it's a drag and the ultimate freedom is utter freedom -- it is not. Actually, it's the furthest from it, or that's just what I've found personally.

I'm looking for routine and some toning in my arms. I'm good with cardio as I have been walking quite a bit and do a hike with others once a week for about 3 hours in the brush around town. I try to head out to the mountainous areas in my province as there have been some good day hikes of 20+ km and 1000m of elevation gain... one day and then another one similar the next. Plus, there's the DDR 2 - 3 times a week.

When I was setting up some stuff at Fragapalooza (a "big" lan in my area that happens once a year) I was having difficulty setting up the tables. Eventually, it got easier, and my arms kind of hurt the next day (not very good at all), but eventually I've found I got some upper arm muscles and still have them. I'd like to keep them as well.

What would people suggest I head off to? I'm a bit lost. :)

Welcome to the rebellion! Body weight exercises, you can do alot with bodyweight exercises. Toning, strength gain, etc. Read some of Steve's articles, they'll give you alot to go off of. I do squats, lunges, pull ups, chin ups, dips, pushups, reverse crunches & planks. Thats all for now and I am seeing good results. You'll get your subroutine created, with the NF site & the forums...you'll get it! :-) Welcome!

"First, decide who you would be and then do what you must do." ~Epictetus