Forums are back in action! ×

Crashing After Major Goal Achievement?

I seem to crash after major goals are achieved. Such as in 2012 I set a goal to run a 50 mile ultra and while I did it with a really good time and loved running, afterwards running just kinda fell out of my habits. Now I barely run at all and I got really fat again.

I seem to be on another major goal kick (black belt) and I am dropping weight and training like a champ, but I am afraid that when I get the black belt I will stop all training. Setting new and bigger goals are no use like run a hundred miles. My brain doesn't see the point in them.

How do I continue the interest in training after major goals are achieved?

We do not rise to the level of our expectations in a fight.

We fall to the level of our training.

I don't know what the ranking system is like in your martial art.  But if it's anything like mine, black belt is not the end of the line.  Once you get there, you get to refocus.  You turn around and start teaching the color belts.  You also - if you're interested in personal shinies - get to set your sights on Master's rank (which is the next time our belt changes color instead of simply adding more stripes).  The difference between martial arts and running is that it is very difficult (as far as I know) to top a fifty-mile ultra marathon.  You hit the pinnacle and there wasn't anywhere else to go.  In martial arts, you hit the pinnacle in a given art when you're dead or achieve the singular highest rank available in that art, whichever comes first.

Short version:  black belt is a "major goal" in itself, but it is not the most major goal there is.

• Like 1

Battle Log

Lifetime Training Goals

2017 Goals

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.

There are ultra marathons longer than 50 miles. You have 100K which is 62 miles and then the standard 100 miler which usually takes 16 -32 hours, but 24 hours on average. I planned on doing the 62 miler next, but lost interest. I also started school so that may have played a part in that. I restarted learning karate and when September comes I will be in school again and I hope my karate interest remains. My main goal is a Ph.D. and THAT goal is not in danger, but I want these side goals too.

I think sometimes instead of always thinking you need to aim higher, further, longer, et cetera, you don't always have to go that way.

Make it your goal to qualify for Boston.

Make it your goal to run Boston.

Make it your goal to run Boston in under 90 minutes.

Things like that.

It doesn't always have to be run 100, then 150, then 200.

My ultimate running goal is the 135 mile Badwater race. Thats 100 miles through Death Vally and then 35 miles up a mountain. I think I lose my "why" when I finish goals.

I've got attention issues.

Also, I switch hobbies a lot.

Usually I pick the hardest thing I can find, do it, then go find some new distraction.

What you seem to need is not to atrophe & rebound at the end of a goal. If it becomes boring for you it's not a crime to change directions. You seem to need to control the in-between / transitional phases.

Also, regarding martial arts; my kids tae kwon do teacher pointed out that black belt is essentially the FIRST level of achievement. ..after that is when the fun begins :-P

ADVENTURER

now