Forums are back in action! ×

What are you listening to?

Garth

Because Grooveshark is glorified pirating. They have all these ads on their page and the artists never see even a fraction of a cent for the plays. Spotify, on the other hand, pays the artists for the plays.

If you care about supporting the artists you're listening to, Spotify is the way to do it.

(This was supposed to be in reference to the convo about why people use Spotify over Grooveshark. In case that was unclear.)

Sooo... you did say what do you LISTEN to and the answer is not music :). I listen to Dave Ramsey the Financial Peace University guy if I get a chance. My husband and I usually work out together so we don't listen to much of anything except what might be playing at the gym while we do weights, but Dave Ramsey got us working out again. Once we got our financial lives in order we started slowly working on getting other areas in order.

Also, Dave works out and talks about it every now and then how he runs everyday and how if you are fat and want to get skinny you need to workout and eat right... darn that guy!

Ready to get fit and strong!

I break it down like this when people ask me what I listen to: 70% rap, 10% Glee covers (even though the show has fallen from its former sardonic glory), 20% Billie Holiday. Which isn't to say I don't listen to things outside of those areas. This is what's getting heavy rotation in my earballs:

the Drive soundtrack (homg)

Otis Redding

Gladys Knight

Dismemberment Plan (Spotify doesn't have my favorite album by them and it's very disheartening)

The Rapture

The Descendents (they're too happy for me to work out to)

The Cool Kids (Bake Sale is one of my all-time favorites)

Among looooots of other things. I want to be a music journalist, so it behooves me to listen to as much music as possible.

Paying the label and I'd rather groove shark tbh. If it was actually paying the artist then sure.

One of my dearest friends is a musician who, after never seeing a dime from his best-selling first album put out on a record label, started his own record label and put all his music out on that. So, for some musicians, yes, they are the ones getting paid because they recognize that the only way to get paid for your music is to be involved in the process from creation to distribution.

(I don't mean for this to sound as argumentative or terse as it is reading. I'm just stating what I know about this situation.)

Straight from said artist friend:

"For those who care or have asked about this -- if you use Grooveshark, neither CunninLynguists nor any artist we know of makes a red cent, all while they rake in tons of money from advertising etc. If you must use any streaming service, Spotify & others will do the same job AND support artists by licensing & paying small streaming fees. Grooveshark is simply an upscale bootlegger -- if you feel inclined to support, please purchase our music directly from us via CunninLynguists.com or from reputable services like Bandcamp, Amazon, Spotify or iTunes. Thanks! - Kno"

So. I'd rather have SOME money go in some artist-like direction than just straight into the pockets of the folks who run Grooveshark who comb the internet for links to music. Just my 2/100 of a dollar.

In addition to the Richard Cheese, here's who else is on my "New Stuff" playlist (everything added to phone in last 6 months):

No More Kings, Jonathan Coulton, The Killers, Michael Buble, Super Mash Bros., Rodrigo y Gabriela, The Black Keys, Brian Eno, The Black Eyed Peas, Foo Fighters, fun., Gotye, Boston, Boyz II Men, Maroon 5, Linkin Park, Rick Astley, The Temper Trap, Florence + The Machine, Bruno Mars, B.o.B., Bad Meets Evil, Jason Mraz

Good God, I buy a lot of music >.<

This month I've been on a real kick of listening to new stuff. The two acts that have really stood out to me have been Why? & Sharon Van Etten. It's a pretty fortuitous time to get into them both as they're touring in October. I'm literally counting down the days to pay day so I can buy tickets. Just hoping that neither show sells out before then.

I've also been enjoying the recent Jack White solo album. I was never completely taken by The Raconteurs or The Dead Weather's stuff, but this record is everything I could have hoped for and more.

Follow me on Twitter: @garth_green

Today has been a PJ Harvey & Future of the Left kind of day.

Went to a gig on Wednesday evening as well. That was pretty fun. One of the support bands is fronted by the guitarist from Future of the Left, they're fairly similar stylistically, and I liked them a lot. Check them out if they're your kind of thing. They're called Strange News from Another Star.

Also, I got tickets to go and see Sharon Van Etten in October which I'm really excited about now.

Follow me on Twitter: @garth_green

Just heard this on a commercial. (If you've been watching the Olympics on NBC, then you've heard it too.) I can't stop listening to it.

]

Agreed. I just discovered these guys yesterday and they're unbelievable. I just put the entire EP on loop. I looked up some of their old stuff and was unimpressed. Continued Silence EP is rad though

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Look out world, I'm smokin' TNT and I'm drinkin' dynamite, so if you know what's good for ya, get out of my way. - SK

Challenge 1: http://www.nerdfitness.com/community/showthread.php?15703-Scooter-McGee-1st-Challenge