Forums are back in action! ×

Hello all, my name is Cody. I recently weighed myself for the first time in 3 years and found that I've gained 70+ pounds since leaving the army. Needless to say, I am trying to change that.

I started working out (the beginner body weight workout) and next time I go grocery shopping, it will be paleo. I don't really have any local support (I just moved to a new town where I know almost no one), so I'll be finding motivation on these boards until I can find a workout buddy.

PS-does anyone have any advice on quitting smoking? I've tried cold turkey, the patch, chantix (sp?), and failed every time. I've just ordered Allen Carr's book from Amazon, so maybe that will help.

Welcome to the Rebellion Cody!
Those pounds will drop when you begin to work out and start eating healthy. And if you´re looking for support, you've come to the right place. As for the smoking, I have no experience, but generally for me, cold turkey works best when I need to drop an unhealthy habit.

Level 3: Ninja

Current Challenge with the Druids (Nov 2nd-dec 13th)

Every man I meet, is my superior in some way. In that, I learn of him. Emerson

Hello Cody, welcome to the rebellion!

I smoked for nearly ten years, with some short breaks in between. I quit smoking two years and two months ago. For me going cold turkey worked, but I made some tweaks to make things easier for me ;) First of all, I had two week's leave from work, so I didn't feel the need to go outside and heve a cigarette break. During this time I could do what ever I wanted and wasn't tied to my desk. Second, my best buddy was out of town on a construction job, which was a blessing for me quitting smoking, because we nearly smoked simultaneously! Whenever we hang around, and that was most of the time, I lit a smoke when he did the same. So after two weeks I was over the hump. I felt the urge to smoke often during this two weeks, but I kept myself active and occupied so this urge passed quickly enough.

That's my story of quitting. I would suggest that you try to identify the circumstances under which you smoke the most. Do smoke a lot when you drive a car? Do you smoke when you are at work? Try to keep your mind occupied with something else, whenever you feel the urge to light a smoke. I chewed a lot of bubble gum after quitting, which saved me a lot of money and probably my health. But I'm off that addiction now, too! Try to keep away from circumstances in which you smoke often. Sometimes that's not possible, but if you identify those circumstances, you can prepare yourself accordingly.

I wish you good luck, both in quitting skmoking and in losing weight!

Level 2 Warrior

STR 1 - CON 1 - DEX 0 - STA 0 - WIS 2 - CHA 0