Forums are back in action! ×

Hi, my name is Mankalas, and I want to be awesome.

Hello there!

I'm French, I'm 30, I'm a computer engineer. I live happily with the love of my life, but I struggle with many other things.

• I work for a company that is not interested in me, that does not value my hard work, where 2 years of commitment and energy are wasted because I displease the wrong person. This brings me down, I feel like an idiot, I feel useless, I'm wasting my precious time on Earth doing boring tasks where I know I can do so much more;
  • I don't do sports, even though I know I should. I'm tall and thin (6'4 ft for 176 lbs). My health is good, but I fear it won't last and that aging will take that away. I'm a little complexed by my absence of muscle, even though my girlfriend does not mind, I don't feel very comfortable going to the swimming pool.

These are the two main struggles of my life right now. Too bad it's only my career and my body...

The little push I needed for joining the rebel alliance came two weeks ago, when my girlfriend's pregnancy test came back positive. I want my future child to have happy dad, an awesome dad, a dad he will look at and say "Wow! He really brought me amazing experiences and advice!"

I won't be able to give him that if my back brakes when I play with him/her, or if I'm depressed that my dreams didn't come true.

No more regrets, no more stagnation, no more inaction, no more weaning. Here I am! Bring it on!!!

• Like 1

Mankalas - Ranger Ent, lvl 2 - Quest #1 - Master Quest : 1-month trip to Thailand

Put on 10kg of muscle

0%
0%

Put my career on tracks

50%
50%

Touch my toes

0%
0%

Greetings, Mankalas. Welcome to the Rebellion! I'm fairly new here, as well. Nice to meet you!

We all have to start somewhere. You've taken a huge first step to attaining your goals simply by deciding what you want and moving toward them. This is a great, helpful community and I am sure you will find plenty of good advice and support if you stick around and explore the forums. :)

Also, I like your attitude. Maintain that vigor and determination, and I'm sure you will do great!

Level 2 Wolfman Assassin

STR: 3|DEX: 4|STA: 3|CON: 3|WIS: 1|CHA: 2

Inventory: Assassin Race Ticket x1

Never take the easy route; hard mode is its own reward!

Next Challenge: The Trainee Assassin

Completed Challenges: A New Beginning

Hey Mankalas!

Another newbie here, and I just want to say congratulations on becoming a dad!  My brother is expecting is first kid in the next couple of months, and since the day they found out they were pregnant he's been "terrified."  I can appreciate, I think, how this is the moment that changes everything.  My husband and I are hoping to start a family soon ourselves, and since we've been talking about it, I've had some similar thoughts cross my mind concerning being able to to keep up with a kid!

And work...oh work...why must it constantly suck?  I know with a kid on the way,  you're probably not looking for a big career change, but it might be good to look around if you're not getting satisfaction from what you're doing.  I bet, though, that by finding something else your passionate about--being a dad and boyfriend, getting fit and strong, etc, will let you see how awesome you already are.  Then you can build from there!  I l also find making my own mini-goals and tracking my own mini-successes at work help me to get through the rough patches.  My experiences and those of my fellows grad students have often been greuling.  It's a constant grind on your confidence and self worth because the nature of doing research requires constantly being faced with how little you know about a topic that, frankly, almost no one else cares about.  So, I hear you on how work can bring you down.  I don't know what your style is, but for me, I need to take a breath, accept where I'm at, inventory my options and make a plan.  Even if that plan is oh-so-simple or highly-unachievable, it keeps me moving. 

I think it's great that you're moving out of your comfort zone, and I hope that you'll pop back regularly to discuss your progress and adventure in plunge\ing the depths of awesomeness!

Ranger,  Level 3, 2014-09-152014-07-282014-06-09