Forums are back in action! ×

Looking for an army of support....

Hello out there geek land....

I came across this site after a recommendation from a friend and have been lurking for a while. It's been great to read all the posts and articles and has inspired me to do at least 1 push-up and 1 squat a day (cause really who can't do one?). I've gone from 5 push-ups in one go to 16 in a couple of weeks now.

I think the best word to describe the last eight months of my life is struggling. Struggling with gaining thirty pounds after I had been at the lowest weight of my adult life. Struggling with a job I hate. Struggling to take graduate classes while working full-time at said job I hate. Struggling with a depression I didn't even realize had set in. But things are starting to turn around now. A new job is on the horizon. Graduate school is starting to take priority so I can do what brings me joy (teaching). I can do sixteen push-ups now where two weeks ago it would have been almost impossible!

However, I've lost a lot of my motivation and positivity with weight loss and being healthy. When it comes to that I feel so alone. Every attempt to cook a healthy meal, each effort to track food and exercise, is always so short-lived. And I just realize I can't do it alone anymore. I have a loving, wonderful husband, but he just doesn't care about his own weight, and I can't look to him for help. Most of the people I know are in great shape and I'm embarrassed to ask them to work out with me cause I know I'll just slow them down and I don't think they have the time. I've always loved sedentary pursuits, reading, writing, playing video games, etc and I haven't found a lot of "fun" ways to move my body.

So enough of the excuses. This is why I'm here for support, for guidance, as much as I can get, so I can get back on the right track and make some progress again. I know when I'm healthier I'll feel better too and that's the most important thing to me right now.

I don't have a plan right now, which I know isn't good. I've been trying to eat organic frozen meals for portion control but that hasn't been great and I'd like to go back to home cooking. I'm walking my dog and doing the push-ups/squats, but would like to work yoga into my routine more. I'm really looking to be consistent, consistent, consistent so I'd love any help or ideas. Thanks so much!

~Miranda (aka Farax K)

Stars hide your fires for these here are my desires
And I won't give them up to you this time around
And so I'll be found with my stake stuck in the ground
Marking the territory of this newly impassioned soul ~ Mumford and Sons

Welcome, you're definitely in the right place!

As far as food goes, if you can make the time try to cook as much *real* food as you can. Try to convince the hubby to buy more fresh meats and veggies at the grocery store, or do the shopping yourself if you have time. As for your sucky job, try to do the bare minimum and focus on school, it'll be over before you know it. Just keep thinking about the day you'll hand in your resignation - or just quit Office Space-style, even if just in your head =)

BILDUNGSROMAN:ROGUE MONK LVL 4

STR: 14 | DEX: 7 | STA: 8 | CON: 7.5 | WIS: 10 | CHA: 3Current Challenge | Bildungsroman's Epic Life | Fitocracy | My blog

Thanks for responding you guys. It was really great to see the posts today and very motivating.

Concrete goals I'm kind of working out right now. Im hoping to find some time this weekend to flesh things out and really figure out what I want to do, what I'm happy doing, etc. Ultimately I want to lose weight and be more active, become stronger, get to a smaller dress size.

Thanks for the tips on cooking. I will try to find some stir fry recipes. I have a wok but have never used it which is so bad! This weekend I will change that!

~Miranda (aka Farax K)

Hello! Congrats on the improvements in the pushups- that's already a great start. Grad school with a job is a plateful, but once you have your degree, you'll teach and not even feel as though its work if you enjoy it.

Im new here too, after much lurking. I have the same weight loss goal as you, hopefully we can keep each other motivated; I know this forum is full of knowledgeable and supportive people. Keep at it and good luck!

" I assess the power of a will by how much resistance, pain, torture it endures and knows how to turn to its advantage.." -Nietzsche

"But I don't want to go among mad people," said Alice. "Oh, you can't help that," said the cat. "We're all mad here." -Lewis Carroll

Hello! Congrats on the improvements in the pushups- that's already a great start. Grad school with a job is a plateful, but once you have your degree, you'll teach and not even feel as though its work if you enjoy it.

Im new here too, after much lurking. I have the same weight loss goal as you, hopefully we can keep each other motivated; I know this forum is full of knowledgeable and supportive people. Keep at it and good luck!

Thanks Vebe! It looks like you're doing strength training which is what I'd like to start seriously working on. If you start a battle log let me know! Also, I like your Alice quote. :)

~Miranda (aka Farax K)

Thanks Faraxk, will do!

It is hard to find time to cook for a family. Do you have a crockpot? They can be a good time-saver since you have a few mouths to feed. Here are some easy recipes

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread15775.html

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread22010.html

Youre right- consistency is so important, and its far easier if you find something you enjoy as your physical activity. Yoga is a great destressor, what other things did you have in mind? If your kids take swimming lessons, you can do laps in the same pool; any easy and fairly enjoyable is a good start to building the habit.

You've the right mindset and the support. We can do this :)

" I assess the power of a will by how much resistance, pain, torture it endures and knows how to turn to its advantage.." -Nietzsche

"But I don't want to go among mad people," said Alice. "Oh, you can't help that," said the cat. "We're all mad here." -Lewis Carroll

welcome to the rebellion. I can already see that some of the major rebels that give great support have already said hello. (yes I'm talkin to YOU Loren, CAPN, Purple, bildungsroman - cause you are all cool like that and I am not being sarcastic, seriously, you are awesome) Keep up the work, you will definitely come up with a plan as you check out the rest of the forum and read the NF articles steve wrote up. I know I did. Keep it up!

"First, decide who you would be and then do what you must do." ~Epictetus 

Thanks Tom! I appreciate it! Just posted for the challenge, think I'm on a good track. PNW fist bump. :)

~Miranda (aka Farax K)

I definitely agree with Purple about writing everything down. It's so helpful to have a written record of your progress. Do you have an iPhone or Android? I use an app called Cardio Trainer to track my exercise, and I was using Calorific to track food. The former really motivates me to keep my "calories burned" number as high as possible and the latter helped me immensely with really thinking about what and how much I eat. I only stopped using it a month or two ago because it had gotten me into such a good habit that I haven't needed it! :)

Oh, and I forgot to say in my thread: if you have any yoga questions, shoot! I may not be able to help, but I'll try!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Human-Dryad Ranger

Fitocracy

Shelter Sketches

If you want to live an interesting life, you're going to spend half of it being terrified.

-Mary Hollinshead