Forums are back in action! ×

At-home exercise equipment

Just wondering what you fellow rebels use--if anything--for at-home equipment. Anything you swear by and couldn't live without?

I get most of my workouts at the gym or, better yet, outdoors when the weather's nice, but I'd like to have some at-home options as well. I'm considering one of these. I love the elliptical for its ease on the joints, and this one seems to offer a lot--it's compact and affordable! Anyone have any experience with something like it?

Thanks!

The rain on my chest is a baptism. I am born again.

Bike trainer. Clip one nice road bike into the trainer for winter sessions without having to muck up the lovelybike, or go out and get grotty in the sleetydark.

I've got, er, too much damn kit otherwise, but I really barely use it, because I thrive on the mental gear-change of going to the gym. At home I squish the cat and get distracted by hoovering...

Freeweights. Coming in second is a selection of decent high-octaine exercise DVDs when I don't have the brain or willpower to push through a workout on my own. Third is my jump rope.

My current #1 most anticipated addition to my home workout equipment is a big honking hanging heavy bag. Mr. Halftruths and I are setting up our own mini dojo in our basement and that is our most desired item. We love hammering away on them whenever we get the chance, and we now have the space for one of our own.

i'm with carjack, if you can do pullups than a bar is all you need (maybe a jump rope as well but i really can't do it... so i dont) btu a heavy bag would be useful if you've got the room to flip/carry it as well as the whole 'beat the 'living' crap out of an inanimate object' thing.

Never underestimate the value of beating the living crap out of an inanimate object!

Just wondering what you fellow rebels use--if anything--for at-home equipment. Anything you swear by and couldn't live without?

I use found stuff. gallon jugs filled with water and gravel. Fences as ballet barre's. Hay bales for deadlifts, water buckets. I also have a cheap jump rope.

Oogie McGuire

Black Sheep Shepherdess

STR 4.25 | DEX 4.5 | STA 3.75 | CON 3 | WIS 4.75 | CHA 1

I used to use dumbbells at home but I found something I like much better: a suspension trainer. You can do an amazing number of exercises with it; it's quite effective; and it makes workouts go much faster.

Here's the TRX video:

There are a lot of suspension trainer workout vids on youtube.

Retail, these cost about USD200, but you can make your own for about $10-15. Here's a DIY vid using straps:

But you can use chain or strong poly rope. I used rope.

http://homeworkoutblog.com/make-a-diy-suspension-trainer-for-mere-chump-change/

http://homeworkoutblog.com/how-to-make-foot-straps-for-your-diy-suspension-trainer/

It's easy to make a door anchor out of a bit of PVC and webbing. I used this, but w/ a larger PVC piece, w/ my door and others (when traveling) before I screwed some eyebolts into a beam at home:

Posted Image

Highly recommended.