Forums are back in action! ×

Airtravel with a Cat

So, this is about as far off-topic from fitness that we can get, but, here goes.

I'm returning to the States after six months studying abroad in Brazil on Saturday, but it's going to be a difficult flight... Reason being, I recently found myself in possession of a cat. It was one of those things that just sort of happened. If anybody wants to know the story, I'll be glad to recount it, but that's not the point of the topic here.

I've gotten all her paperwork done & we're all ready to fly... except one thing. I have no idea how to handle food/water/bathroom for her! All the websites I've checked seem to have different opinions.

It's going to be a LONG trip... (1-2 hours to the airport, 3 hours in terminal, 8.75 hour flight, 3.5 hour layover, 1 hour flight, 1 hour drive home = 18-19 hours!!) & I'm trying to everything I can to make sure she won't have an accident, but will still have enough food & water to be fine.

I'm putting a towel in the bottom of her carrier just in case, will stop providing food and water an hour before driving out so her stomach will be settled when we take off, & am bringing some food, a little dish for water, & a makeshift litterbox (which I hope she'll use) to provide to her during the layover. But other than that... I don't know!

I've never flown with an animal, so I'm really nervous for her. I guess the worst that could happen is that she has an accident, but if that happens on the plane, we're screwed - I'm not allowed to remove her from her carrier at any time on the plane, so I wouldn't be able to clean it up, even in the bathroom... So, does anybody have any experience in long flights with a cat?

(Please don't tell me to just sedate her - I won't. Over half of all animal deaths on flights are from over-sedation, & many pets require medical attention just to wake up again. I'd rather a stinky, unhappy kitty than a dead one.)

Level 3 Half-elf Ninja

[Assassin-Monk hybrid]

STR: 2 || DEX: 3 || STA: 2 || CON: 2 || WIS: 5 || CHA: 4

"Shifting from lazy and geek to Sheik and Mystique"

So, I guess that you've already gotten the paperwork squared away for your cat being on the flight and paid the fee to the airline? I haven't done international, but I know that there are in many cases requirements to keep the animal in customs for a certain period of time before you get to take them home.

I have flown a cat from Seattle to Richmond, VA and from Richmond, VA to Los Angeles, CA (both were moves and neither involved flights as long as yours!). Even though my cat is not trained on a leash, I bought a little cat harness and leash so that I could take her out of her carrier for a few moments during the layover. I'm not sure what the airport people thought, but no one ever came over and gave me shit about it. I would just pick a secluded-ish corner and let her slink around for about 15m on the leash.

I wish you the best of luck and support your no meds approach. Neither of my cats meowed/yowled on the flight. They were good girls.

Also, I got a little "litterbox" set up, but didn't need to use it. Neither cat was in the mood to pee/poop during the layover. They were honestly too disturbed. I'd probably feel the same way.

Maybe you could get her used to the carrier leading up to the flight?

Level 0 | Amazon | Class = ???

STR: 0 | DEX: 0 | STA: 0 | CON: 0 | WIS: 0 | CHA: 0

LJ Diet Blog

"Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. To keep our faces toward change and behave like free spirits in the presence of fate is strength undefeatable." - Helen Keller