Forums are back in action! ×

Confession

Hi all,

I hope you are all ok.

I have a confession to make but I hope it helps someone else out...maybe I should post it in the newbies section.

3 weeks ago I wanted to start a challenge. I thought, hey I have dropped 21 lbs, I am fitter then ever. I don't need to do the first level and I want mini challenges. It actually wasn't that straight forward in my head.

It took me into week 2 to realise how the points system worked, and that I shouldn't have jumped straight into a guild....but did I turn back? Noooo!

Changing my exercise programme for the challenge pretty much got my back injured. I wanted to do more, but it was stupid.

I am now nearly 2 weeks not having done any physical aspect of my challenge, just my diet and trying to relax. The last bit hasn't worked. Stressed out with work and house move.

I have done my stretches from physio and a few light exercises outlined in convict conditioning.

I have done the mini challenges and given myself the points. I don't however feel like I deserve the week 3 points. I have learnt a lot about myself, so would allocate a lot to wisdom, but feel like I should pack the in challenge and start again at Level 1 again.

I am not normally this 'whingey' and would probably disappear into the ether, giving up on getting fit and put the weight back on, but I really want to use NF to get where I want to be. Not being able to exercise every other day is really affecting my mood. There is still a niggle with my back and it's so tempting to hit the gym.

I don't feel I can keep posting / attribute points without 'feesing up, asking for forgiveness/ directions.

What should I do?

Wolfie

Probably a bit too excited getting a PB on my bent over row left my back a bit sore. Then trying to work round it in the gym. I went to pick up some weights for shoulder shrugs and two weights that looked identical, weren't. I picked both up and the imbalanced aggravated it a bit. Putting my 2 yr old son in the car definitely finished it off and I was doubled over the next day.

It prevented me for one week to walk, straighten up without pain. I have a bad disc at l3/4 on that side from an MRI scan last year, when I had a similar injury. I was 6 weeks off work that time, but back in a week this time.

Diazapam, codine and anti-inflames helped. So did heat after 48 hrs of hot and cold. Physio did some manipulation. She said it was muscle spasm aggravated by really tight hamstrings. So I am stretching for those - knees up, together, single, across to shoulder. Then leg bent in front and stretch over. She said light weights and swimming.

Swimming seemed to really piss off my coccyx. I couldn't walk for a week. Hamstrings better but felt like I fell on my ass.

No weights now for two weeks. Been doing pull ups and little resistance band work. My accountability buddy introduced me to convict conditioning (just did a set of 50 wall presses), so doing first steps of wall presses and vertical rows. Not feeling ready to do squats, knee tucks yet. I have done some (first step) bridges. Haven't tried a headstand yet.

Physio appointment next month. Still limping a little bit. Still on anti - inflames and ibro gel. If feeling ok, might go to gym on Thursday to do pull ups, dips etc bent over rows will become low pulley rows.

Any advice?

1) This board is only for 6-week challenge thread. Not a big deal, just a heads-up. If you want, I can move this thread to the Pub/Off-Topic if you want.

2) You could've always just PMed me the info about being a level 1. It takes like 20 seconds to put your thread there if you want to finish up as a L1 and then come back here in a few weeks. Again, just let me know if you want to do that.

3) People get hurt all the time with challenges by trying to do too much too soon. It happens to tons of people and it affects the 6-week challenge.  Best bet is just to tweak your goals to compensate for the injury. Remember, 80%+ of fat loss is from food ONLY.  The other 20% is all the busting your butt at the gym.  You can still reduce your bf% without going beast mode at a gym.

I understand the frustration that you're feeling.  I did a bus pull for a charity event a year ago and I twisted my knee really bad. Rather than just keep off of it, I kept trying to work out a little bit- and in the process re-aggravated it for over a MONTH.  Trust me- if you're hurt, it can be frustrating, but you need to just take it easy and let your body heal.  Especially if you're using different products to help numb the pain.  The pain is there for a reason- your body is screaming at you to back off as much as possible.  Again, I totally get that it sucks.  Maybe in the meantime for stress you can try very very VERY little yoga/meditation and see if you're ok with that.  But proceed slowly.

1) This board is only for 6-week challenge thread. Not a big deal, just a heads-up. If you want, I can move this thread to the Pub/Off-Topic if you want.

2) You could've always just PMed me the info about being a level 1. It takes like 20 seconds to put your thread there if you want to finish up as a L1 and then come back here in a few weeks. Again, just let me know if you want to do that.

3) People get hurt all the time with challenges by trying to do too much too soon. It happens to tons of people and it affects the 6-week challenge.  Best bet is just to tweak your goals to compensate for the injury. Remember, 80%+ of fat loss is from food ONLY.  The other 20% is all the busting your butt at the gym.  You can still reduce your bf% without going beast mode at a gym.

I understand the frustration that you're feeling.  I did a bus pull for a charity event a year ago and I twisted my knee really bad. Rather than just keep off of it, I kept trying to work out a little bit- and in the process re-aggravated it for over a MONTH.  Trust me- if you're hurt, it can be frustrating, but you need to just take it easy and let your body heal.  Especially if you're using different products to help numb the pain.  The pain is there for a reason- your body is screaming at you to back off as much as possible.  Again, I totally get that it sucks.  Maybe in the meantime for stress you can try very very VERY little yoga/meditation and see if you're ok with that.  But proceed slowly.

1) sorry Teros, forgot about it being for 6 week challenge only. Yes please, move it to pub/off topic.

2) I think I will move over to level one if you could do that please? I will be back for the next adventurers 6 week challenge.

3) I think I will do as you and others have suggested and adjust the last 3 weeks of my challenge. Maybe just the physical died to CC. Thanks for the reminder about diet and 80/20. It helped me not get tempted tonight.

Sorry to everyone for the negativity, I was on my break in work and physically felt so tired and fed up. I forgot the real reason I am doing this, is so in 6 months I will be happy how I look in photos of me holding my new baby. And 6 months is a fair few challenges away.

Wolfie

Sorry to everyone for the negativity, I was on my break in work and physically felt so tired and fed up. I forgot the real reason I am doing this, is so in 6 months I will be happy how I look in photos of me holding my new baby. And 6 months is a fair few challenges away.

Hey no problem man. If you gotta vent then just vent. That's what the forums are for.  To get out your angers and frustrations or to celebrate your accomplishments.

I'll move threads over in a bit. Hard to do without a mouse.

Hey no problem man. If you gotta vent then just vent. That's what the forums are for.  To get out your angers and frustrations or to celebrate your accomplishments.

I'll move threads over in a bit. Hard to do without a mouse.

Cheers man

I hope today went ok.

No mouse?

Wolfie - I agree with you 100%. It is really important to start out with the lvl 1 for your first challenge. I did the same thing as you and jumped right in, I have only completed 1 of the 6 challenges I have done.

Listen to Teros - he is an awesome guild leader and very knowledgable in dealing with and over coming set backs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1