Forums are back in action! ×

With a title like My first post, you know this is gonna be great!

My name is Marc. I've decided to join the rebellion so I have an outlet to share my progress and perhaps get some encouragement from my fellow nerd(s). I'm a college student studying music. I play in a band and have a menial job, by which I live paycheck to paycheck, like a true musician :) This doesn't mean I don't want to live a better life. Perhaps I should give a little background.

My dad was a big sports buff. He played just about every sport under the sun when he was a young lad, and all the way up until I was born. For my first five years, he used to come and play sports with me, mostly shooting the basketball or tossing the baseball back and forth. Then, he had an injury, rupturing his Achilles' tendon, and since then he hasn't played any sports at all. After that, I never played any sport, and since then I've grown up slowly gaining weight. I remember in middle school when the scale first hit over 200 lbs, then followed by high school when it crept over 250. Since then, I've made several attempts to try and control my weight, as I incorrectly thought my weight defined who I was. I know it's just a number now, but back then I thought it was everything.

Three gym memberships and six years later, I was still in no better health than I was before. Around my 21st birthday last August, I stepped onto the scale and saw something I hoped I never would: 300 lbs. I may not be the most overweight person in the world, but seeing that scared me, but mostly it disappointed me. I've been self conscious about my weight and my body ever since middle school, and hitting 300 lbs made me really self conscious. I decided that it was a better idea to make a lifestyle change rather than yo-yo dieting and all this other mess. That's when I found Nerd Fitness.

I began reading steve's articles, clamoring to understand (and becoming somewhat of an underpants gnome in the process haha). Finally, I decided to do something about my weight. Three weeks ago, I weighed in and took photos of myself to track my progress. 295 lbs at start. I changed my eating habits and began doing the beginner body weight workout. My diet may not be entirely paleo, but I'm certainly eating better than I was before. As of now, I'm down 15 lbs to 280, the first time in a long time I've been this weight (I can't wait until I get down to 250, the weight I have listed on my drivers license!).

Nerd Fitness has helped to inspire me that really healthy lifestyles aren't out of reach for me, and that I can be the best me that I want to be. All I need to do is believe and act.

-Marc

• Like 1