Forums are back in action! ×

Hello everyone!

Another new person checking in for the first time after lurking for awhile. For the Nerd part of NF, I'm a student studying computer science who plans to eventually go to graduate school (I'm currently researching programming language theory, for those who know/care about such things). For the Fitness part of NF, I finally manned up enough to begin studying martial arts, which is something I've been too scared to do for something like 7 years.

Unfortunately, I'm not optimally equipped to practice Hapkido at present. At 5'8", ~140 lbs, I'm not overweight according the scale, but I'm currently "skinny fat", so I definitely have some fat to lose. My medium term goal is losing ~5% body fat, but I need to get an accurate starting measurement. I believe I'm about 18% right now, and calipers are in transit, so I'll at least be able to track progress over the next few weeks/months/years. More importantly, I'd like to gain considerable strength, as I've always been relatively weak. To that end, I'm working through the progressive calisthenics training in Convict Conditioning. Long term, I'd like to be able to do the 6 "master level" exercises from that particular system: one-legged squats, one-arm push ups, one-arm pull ups, hanging V leg raises, standing to standing bridges, and one-arm handstand pushups (preferably free standing), which should keep me busy for quite awhile. Finally, I'd like to get my black belt in Hapkido before I graduate (2 years), which I've been told is just barely possible if I work at it really hard, which brings me back to needing to improve my overall fitness.

To summarize, I'm currently aiming for an NF Profession of Monk, but I've got a ways to go. Hopefully, having a group of awesome people will help me get there. (If nothing else, having posted my goals in a public place will guilt me into eating better and working harder.)