Forums are back in action! ×

Wireless IP notification system

I know this is waaaayyyy off topic, but I think this might be a good place to ask.

One section of our veterinary diagnostic lab that has 24 hour dropoff/testing has a cooler (gas station ice machine) to drop off samples that come anytime 24/7/365.  This cooler is located across the building from where the testing takes place.  I am trying to come up with a solution to have the clients let the employees know when there is a sample in the cooler because it is way too long of a walk to have the lab techs constantly walking back in forth.

So far the simplest solution is a outdoor wireless camera that does motion capture and sends an email alert.  Unfortunately the vet med college won't let us hang a camera in that area as it is also in an outdoor rec area for rehabbing animals and they don't want these animals to be recorded in any way. (small chance they would be recorded, but they put their foot down on this).

So what I am looking for is either an IP based battery doorbell that can hit the wifi and ring in the lab, a door opening detector (usually a magnet that when the door opens the connection is broken) that can send a notification over the wifi network to a computer, or a wireless IP based light switch for outdoor use (I have found indoor ones only).

I have seen some different options, but I am curious if anyone has any experience with anything.

thanks --steve

There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened.
--Douglas Adams

If  you have a confined space, can you use a scale system? if the weight in the cooler gets heavier have that flag a bell in the lab. An arduino, some strain gauges type thingies, a wireless adapter and some simple code to send an email to whomever is in the lab...

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

Basically you are looking for a silent alarm to trigger when the door is disturbed?

I would recommend contacting a home security/alarm agency in your area; they would have a plethora of information on the topic I would reckon.

Otherwise... quick Google search:

http://www.reddit.com/r/homedefense/comments/qw32y/the_diy_190_monitored_home_security_alarm_system

The above might be feasible? Though it would be a call, voicemail could be customized.

-Purple_Panda

My first thought was the camera as well,

I'm liking the scale idea,

but your best bet might just be a traditional magnetic door alarm set to silent.

Yeah the easiest is probably a door alarm but what happens if someone just opens the door without placing a sample? That'd be my concern, false events :)

(I spend too much time engineering stuff)

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

If cams are out per policy why not IR/microwave motion detection? Same result no video capture concerns. Same issue with false events but probably easier than installing gear at the cooler assuming you can mount to the main structure. The newer Ubiquiti mFi kit is interesting (I use their wireless gear on budget projects and it is solid) but they don't currently offer an outdoor motion sensor. Panda has the right idea looking at home security systems. 

Eat. Sleep. High bar squat. | Strength is a skill, refine it.
Follow my Weightlifting team's antics: Instagram | Facebook | Youtube
Looking for a strength program? Check out The Danger Method and remember to do your damn abs