Forums are back in action! ×

Intro Story, with goals

Hello all!

I'm about 9 months into active weight loss, with (hopefully only) another 6-9 months to go.  About 3-4 months ago, I decided that the "skinny fat" look wouldn't be for me, and so started some (what I see now is pretty light) strength training.

I'm currently at 188.6, with a tentative goal weight of 155.  I'm 5'6".  When I get down to 155, I'll see what everything looks like then, and adjust downwards as necessary.

My current goals are to:

1) Be able to do pull ups.  Or chin ups.  Basically pull up my body some kind of way with my arms.  I am female, and still at least 30 pounds overweight, so it may be a while before I can do this - but once I can, I think I will feel like a bit of a bad ass.

2) Complete P90X3.  In working towards goal #1, I still need to lose weight while building up my arms and back.  This is where P90X3 will come in.  I have 3 young children (4, 3, and 21 mos old) and a full time job.  While I used this as an excuse to not exercise at all for the longest time, I have recently been making great strides towards taking time out for myself, while still doing everything that needs to be done for my family, including giving my husband time to work on his own fitness (he is a cyclist, which is time-intensive).  Getting up 30 minutes earlier in the morning to work out has been great for my mood, my energy, my stamina, you name it - and I get to burn some calories and get stronger in the process.  I had been feeling like I was flailing around a bit, though, and I think that this program will help focus me somewhat.

3) My ultimate goal is to participate in this next March: http://www.bataanmarch.com/ - in the heavy category.  This is basically doing a marathon while carrying a 35+ pound pack.  I won't be trying for any kind of land speed records (if you look at the results, you'll see that some people actually RUN this thing carrying a pack), just to finish in 9 hours or less.  It will require a lot of endurance, and I will feel like even more of a bad ass when it is done.

So that's my story.  Looking forward to joining the next challenge at the end of July.  Let me know if anyone has any thoughts or tips regarding my goals.

Level 0 Ranger

Getting started back at the NF Academy

Hello SassQueen!

That Bataan March really looks impressing! I'm sure you will find much information on suitable gear and tips here on the forums. Just one tip from me: Make sure that you do some marches beforehand in the boots you actually do the march in, so you are comfortable with them and know where to expect blisters so you can take some precautions against them.If your boots fit you and don't raise trouble that's nearly half of the battle ;)

Good luck on your goals!

Level 2 Warrior

STR 1 - CON 1 - DEX 0 - STA 0 - WIS 2 - CHA 0

Thanks BlueRose, and congrats on your (sort of) pull up ;)

Thanks Schmonk - I've had some friends who have done the Bataan before, and your advice is spot on with what they have said: it's more of a slog and test of endurance than anything else.  I plan on getting the boots around October or November and doing some marches in them, eventually with the pack.  On their website, they recommend putting 100 miles on your boots before the actual march!

Level 0 Ranger

Getting started back at the NF Academy