Forums are back in action! ×

hey all,

i just found this site thanks to a link on a friend's facebook page. i've been using the website sparkpeople.com and will likely continue to do so since it's a great community...but this place seems like a wonderful spot to get encouragement from others who are more in tune with what my life is like.

about me: i'm 26 and will be graduating from college in december (i took a few years off and then went back full time a few years ago). i grew up in the suburbs of atlanta and now live closer in town with my boyfriend. i don't know if i could officially be called a "nerd" since i don't have alot of "nerdy" interests...but most of my friends could be classified as nerds/geeks/etc so i'm definitely immersed in the culture if not an actual member of it. anyway, i went to dragon con so i think that counts for something :)

about my weight loss: to keep this on the shorter side, i can chalk it up this way: i've most always been a bit on the chubby side. over the years my weight has fluxuated alot, due to poor habits and also some medical issues. i'm about 5 ft 4 or 5 ft 5 and my lowest adult weight has been 117...my highest has been about 170. i'm currently around 150 and i'm working to lose about 20-30 lbs (i don't really care about the number, it's more about looks and, more importantly, health). to do this, i'm trying to watch what i eat (i track this on sparkpeople.com) and work out more (which i also track). i'm not making huge changes but simply trying to become more mindful of what i put in my body and how much. i'm also learning about my triggers for eating for reasons other than hunger and deal with those issues along the way.

so that's about it for me. looking forward to meeting ya'll!

emily

hi ebm! welcome to the rebellion! you've certainly come to the right place for support and encouragement in reaching your goals. :-) what kind of exercises/workouts/activities do you do?

...we, each of us, are responsible for our own fulfillment. Nobody else can provide it for us, and to believe otherwise is to delude ourselves dangerously and to program for eventual failure every relationship we enter. - Tom Robbins

Current Challenge: Life, man.

i'm a big fan of classes as i find they tend to be more fun, keep me more motivated, and an instructor can push me harder than i can push myself. i've got a few more months of "free" gym membership at school. after i graduate, i'll likely join a gym. i also recently got a bike and, even though i'm not a good rider yet, i've been enjoying the exercise and fun that provides. as long as there's a tv, i can usually suffer through some time on a treadmill/elliptical machine. my goal lately has been to work out 4-5 days a week. i think i've been doing about 3 lately but i'm getting there :)

I like going to classes too they are WAY more motivating! Good job at getting going though, that's what I am working on. I've noticed the hardest part about working out is getting my shoes on. Once they are on there is no turning back for me.

"If you want to make your dreams come true, the first thing you have to do is wake up." - J.M Power.

CURRENT CHALLENGE - FACEBOOK - MY EPIC QUEST TO DO LIST

"It is not who you are that holds you back, it is who you think you are not" -Anonymous

"Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished" -Tao Te Ching

same here. once i started taking classes of any kind, the treadmill and elliptical machine became the most boring enemies ever. why do the same motion over and over again when you can have someone yelling at you to bust your butt for an hour? :-)

...we, each of us, are responsible for our own fulfillment. Nobody else can provide it for us, and to believe otherwise is to delude ourselves dangerously and to program for eventual failure every relationship we enter. - Tom Robbins

Current Challenge: Life, man.