Forums are back in action! ×

Ironhead begins his quest

Hey everyone just found the website and I am excited to join.

I'm from Washington state and am looking to get into better shape for my family.  

I'm hoping to get into a spartan run next year, so that is my current main fitness goal. I am currently one week in to a full paleo diet and feeling great.  Also, I am in the process of setting up a gym in my shop.  

My biggest obstacle to overcome is asthma.  I have taken some pretty big steps in beating it such as losing about a hundred pounds and cutting out dairy, but now i feel like i'm going to have to really push through to eliminate it (maybe?).  

Looking forward to starting the next six week challenge. 

Level 1 Half-Orc Barbarian Ranger, Chaotic Good
STR:2 DEX:0 STA:2 CON:2 WIS:2 CHA:0

Do not wait to strike the iron while it is hot; but make it hot by striking.

Lose ten pounds Battle Log Quest I

I have a strange breathing problem that has been mostly undiagnosed for awhile. Most doctors believe its exercise induced, but its odd that it only happens in very specific situations. (The cold seems to be a big one)

I find that really consciously paying attention to my breath helps me fight through it. In and out deep breaths through my nose.

How severe is your asthma?

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Progress, not perfection."

"Persist, Pivot, or Concede." - Matthew McConaughey

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Rants, Thoughts, and Workouts-->Battle Log | The Improvening (Current Challenge)

Cold definitely doesn't help. My asthma is mostly brought on by cardio, heavy lifting doesn't seem to bother me much, but I can't even run a quarter mile without being winded and done. Breathing through the nose definitely helps, though I'm not sure why.

If your not using a inhaler or anything for symptoms you probably have some form of exercise induced asthma.

Basically my issue was that I would stop breathing when running or exercising. Thus my body wasn't getting enough air.

Lifting heavy never makes my breathing issues come up, but I don't do that often as I don't enjoy doing small sets of the same exercise. I prefer HIIT training. And when I am sweating and forget to focus on breathing it can stir up. I recently started doing yoga and that has helped me a lot. I don't have to think about breathing when I lift most of the time now.

It becomes harder to breath as you do exercise, and your body needs more air. So unfortunately for us that's a bad combo. I consider the breathing exercises in yoga, and focusing on my breathing during the poses the best thing that helped me with this issue.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Progress, not perfection."

"Persist, Pivot, or Concede." - Matthew McConaughey

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Rants, Thoughts, and Workouts-->Battle Log | The Improvening (Current Challenge)

I have an inhaler on me at all times but it is definitely more exercise induced than anything at this point. The breathing exercise in yoga is an interesting point. I have tried the buteyko method and have had some relief/ success with that.